• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Parking Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticketquestion

Questions about parking tickets

I live in Pennsylvania and was visiting family in New Jersey a little over 4 years ago. I received a couple parking tickets while in NJ. I got a reminder notice in the mail at my PA home from the NJ municipality about them shortly after they were issued. I wrote back asking about a payment arrangement as I was hoping to send 20 a month until they were paid in full.

I was thinking about this -I am going to visit my brother again- and realized that I have never heard back about the payment arrangement request I asked if I could do. I did move a year after the tickets were issued but was sure to put in a forwarding request for mail with the post office. I looked for the notices about the tickets and cannot find them. Now I am thinking back on how stupid I was for not following up on them and am wondering what could have happened with these tickets.

I have been searching for them, calling the municipality they were issued in. However, because I do not have the plate numbers anymore -I sold the car awhile back- no one can look up anything to tell me anything. It was my hope that if the tickets and amounts could be located I could mail the ticket fee and any additional fines in to take care of them or have a family member drop it off before visiting. However, since no one can find them without the plate number I do not know who to contact next to try and locate them.

I am wondering what the cost of a 30-40 dollar parking ticket can be increased to if left unpaid (how much late fee/fine is added on top of the ticket cost for non-payment)? I figure if they cannot be located without a plate number it would be best to be sure to have enough cash to cover them in case a problem arises while visiting.

Also I am wondering since I live out of state would there be a warrant for them in Pennsylvania or New Jersey? Can my PA drivers license be suspended or renewal be denied for unpaid New Jersey parking ticket? So far PA has not contacted me about these tickets at all.

I don't want to run into any issues in my home state or NJ and would like to take care of them now that I definitely have the money to do so but I can't figure out where to look next if the municipality cant tell me anything without a plate number. Any suggestions on where to look or who to call next?

Thankyou

patstew

Try your DMV. They vary from state to state, of course, but on mine I can look up a name and they show the registrations from the last four years.

Hey, it's worth a shot. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">