• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Ticket for expired plates & parking ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdermont

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. West Lafayette

I just moved to Indiana. My license place for IL expired Dec-10.

Today I got a parking ticket for 2 hours over AND a ticket for expired plates.

1) I swear that I had another 10-15 more minutes before the 2 hour limit.
2) I got new plates for Indiana right before Christmas Break. I accidentally left them at school over break and today was the first day of classes. It's been numbingly cold at night so I was waiting for a day I didn't have too many classes and some decent weather to do the swap.

I see 3 options:
1) Pay the fines. Be done. Money's tight.
2) Appeal the ticket. 1) on grounds that the meter maid must have done his rounds a bit too early since I had another few minutes AND that I did have legal registration in Indiana. I was just prevented from putting it on due to not having my tools on campus (I was actually parked at a friend's house that had a screw driver), not being on campus and it being cold.
3) Just ignore it. It's a "Double or nothing" gamble as the ticket doubles after 30 days. My IL license place is done and gone. Internet has mixed information on sharing of non-moving violations. I haven't found anything specific about Indiana/Illinois.

On a side note, for fun I punched my name into the online payment system where you can look up tickets by license, name, or ticket #. They have an outstanding ticket for $10 (I Paid $10, but the mail must have gotten there after the 30 days, so it doubled) on there from 2005 (when I graduated and moved away) that didn't even affect me getting another in state license.

justalayman

1) Pay the fines. Be done. Money's tight.
sounds like a good idea

2) Appeal the ticket. 1) on grounds that the meter maid must have done his rounds a bit too early since I had another few minutes
and what support do you have for this. If it is based on:

you will lose.

AND that I did have legal registration in Indiana. I was just prevented from putting it on due to not having my tools on campus (I was actually parked at a friend's house that had a screw driver), not being on campus and it being cold.
that is not a valid defense. You might be able to get this reduced to something such as failure to display a valid registration but not putting it on simply because it was cold is not a valid defense, especially since you have not been displaying a valid registration for a month. You will likely lose on this charge as well unless you have a really lenient judge.

3) Just ignore it. It's a "Double or nothing" gamble as the ticket doubles after 30 days. My IL license place is done and gone. Internet has mixed information on sharing of non-moving violations. I haven't found anything specific about Indiana/Illinois.
so this means you don't have a valid operators license at all? Not smart to ignore tickets since that means a warrant will be issued and due to the newfangled computer plate ID systems floating around, a lot more people will be getting caught. That means you could go to jail. Willing to risk it?

On a side note, for fun I punched my name into the online payment system where you can look up tickets by license, name, or ticket #. They have an outstanding ticket for $10 (I Paid $10, but the mail must have gotten there after the 30 days, so it doubled) on there from 2005 (when I graduated and moved away) that didn't even affect me getting another in state license.
sounds like a parking ticket. Most likely not a moving violation so it wouldn't affect your license.

with the "no registration" ticket, it is a bit more serious than a parking ticket.

You lost me on the Indiana plates and the "lost the IL license" though. If you have an IL license, you should have IL plates.

Dillon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. West Lafayette

I just moved to Indiana. My license place for IL expired Dec-10.

Today I got a parking ticket for 2 hours over AND a ticket for expired plates.

2) I got new plates for Indiana right before Christmas Break. I accidentally left them at school over break and today was the first day of classes. It's been numbingly cold at night so I was waiting for a day I didn't have too many classes and some decent weather to do the swap.
its my understanding, this is good info on the drivers license and motor vehicle equipment registration scam used by the states.

its my understanding, vehicle registration only applies to business equipment

---------------------

The Uniform Code of Commerce divides "Goods" into four categories, defined here in basic language.

Full legal definitions can be found in section 9109 of the UCC:

Equipment: Goods used or bought for use primarily in business (including farming or a profession).

Inventory: Goods held by a person for sale or lease . The basic difference between "inventory" and "equipment" is how the goods are used. A machine used by a business is "equipment" while the same machine offered for sale or lease is "inventory."

Consumer Goods: Goods used or bought for use primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.

Farm Products: Crops, livestock, supplies or products used in farming operations.

“Under UCC §9-109 there is a real distinction between goods purchased for personal use and those purchased for business use. The two are mutually exclusive and the principal use to which the property is put should be considered as determinative.” James Talcott, Inc. v Gee, 5 UCC Rep Serv 1028; 266 Cal.App.2d 384, 72 Cal.Rptr. 168 (1968).

“The classification of goods in UCC §9-109 are mutually exclusive.” McFadden v Mercantile-Safe Deposit & Trust Co., 8 UCC Rep Serv 766; 260 Md 601, 273 A.2d 198 (1971).

“Automobile purchased for the purpose of transporting buyer to and from his place of employment was ``consumer goods'' as defined in UCC §9-109.” Mallicoat v Volunteer Finance & Loan Corp., 3 UCC Rep Serv 1035; 415 S.W.2d 347 (Tenn. App., 1966).

“The provisions of UCC §2-316 of the Maryland UCC do not apply to sales of consumer goods (a term which includes automobiles, whether new or used, that are bought primarily for personal, family, or household use).” Maryland Independent Automobile Dealers Assoc., Inc. v Administrator, Motor Vehicle Admin., 25 UCC Rep Serv 699; 394 A.2d 820, 41 Md App 7 (1978).

“A soldier's personal automobile is part of his ``household goods[.]'' U.S. v Bomar, C.A.5(Tex.), 8 F.3d 226, 235” 19A Words and Phrases - Permanent Edition (West) pocket part 94.

IN RE BARNES
United States District Court,
D Maine, September 15, 1972
Bankruptcy No. BK 72-129ND, No. EK 72-13OND

[9109] Consumer goods - automobile for transportation to and from work.

The use of a vehicle by its owner for purposes of traveling to and from his employment is a personal, as opposed to a business use, as that term is used in UCC § 9-109(l), and the vehicle will be classified as consumer goods rather than equipment.

The phraseology of § 9-109(2) defining equipment as goods used or bought for use primarily in business seems to contemplate a distinction between the use of collateral "in business" and the mere use of the collateral for some commercial, economic or income-producing purpose by one not engaged “in business.”

The appropriate filing place turns upon the classification of the collateral as consumer goods or equipment. The Uniform Commercial Code classifies goods as consumer goods ". . . if they are used or bought for use primarily for personal, family or household purposes. (2). Fn (2) 11 MRSA § 9-109(1).

It is the court's opinion that the use of a vehicle by its owner for purposes of traveling to and from his employment is a "personal," as opposed to a business use, as that term is used in UCC § 9-109 (1).

Traveling to and from work is a PERSONAL use NOT a BUSINESS use!

This ruling is consistent with the undisputed fact that "The classification of goods is determined by its primary use" (Barron’s Law Dictionary, Third Edition, 1991) and not by the type of goods, including, but not limited to, vehicles.

"A vehicle not used for commercial activity is a "consumer goods", . . . it is NOT a type of vehicle required to be registered and "use tax" paid of which the tab is evidence of receipt of the tax." Bank of Boston vs Jones, 4 UCC Rep. Serv. 1021, 236 A2d 484, UCC PP 9-109.14.

"Thus self-driven vehicles are classified according to the use to which they are put rather than according to the means by which they are propelled." Ex Parte Hoffert, 148 NW 20.

“The Supreme Court, in Arthur v. Morgan, 112 U.S. 495, 5 S.Ct. 241, 28 L.Ed. 825, held that carriages were properly classified as household effects, and we see no reason that automobiles should not be similarly disposed of.” Hillhouse v United States, 152 F. 163, 164 (2nd Cir. 1907).

"... [T]he exemptions provided for in section 1 of the Motor Vehicle Transportation License Act of 1925 (Stats. 1925, p. 833) in favor of those who solely transport their own property or employees, or both, and of those who transport no persons or property for hire or compensation, by motor vehicle, have been determined in the Bacon Service Corporation case to be lawful exemptions. --In re Schmolke (1926) 199 Cal. 42, 46.

"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty.... It includes the right in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day; and under existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse-drawn carriage or wagon thereon, or to operate an automobile thereon for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege, like the privilege of moving a house in the street, operating a business stand in the street, or transporting persons or property for hire along the street, which the city may permit or prohibit at will."

Key emphasis added. Indisputable wisdom recorded in Thompson v. Smith, 154 S.E. 579, 1929.

Commercial Vehicle

CVC.260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

(b) Passenger vehicles and house cars that are not used for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit are not commercial vehicles. This subdivision shall not apply to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 6700) of Division 3.

Last edited:

davew128

its my understanding, this is good info on the drivers license and motor vehicle equipment registration scam used by the states.

its my understanding, vehicle registration only applies to business equipment
Suggest you go back to your jedi training and relearn what you think you know.

Dillon

Dillon believes that the entire body of law can be distilled into the Uniform Commercial Code.
MOST IF NOT ALL CRIME IS COMMERCIAL

See : 27 CFR 72.11

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

PART 72—DISPOSITION OF SEIZED PERSONAL PROPERTY

Subpart B—Definitions

§ 72.11 Meaning of terms

Commercial crimes. Any of the following types of crimes (Federal or State): Offenses against the revenue laws; burglary; counterfeiting; forgery; kidnapping; larceny; robbery; illegal sale or possession of deadly weapons; prostitution (including soliciting, procuring, pandering, white slaving, keeping house of ill fame, and like offenses); extortion; swindling and confidence games; and attempting to commit, conspiring to commit, or compounding any of the foregoing crimes. Addiction to narcotic drugs and use of marihuana will be treated as if such were commercial crime.

go figure !

----------------------

Levy of annual license tax. (the tax revenue law for motor vehicles in most States)

An annual license tax is hereby levied upon the operation of motor vehicles on the public roads or highways, for the purpose of enforcing and paying the expense of administering the law relative to the registration and operation of such vehicles; planning, constructing, maintaining, and repairing public roads, highways, and streets; maintaining and repairing bridges and viaducts; paying the counties’ proportion of the cost and expenses of cooperating with the department of transportation etc....

need i say more?

------------------

Last edited:

Dillon

Suggest you go back to your jedi training and relearn what you think you know.
Consensus reality is an approach to answering the philosophical question "What is real?" Reality is either what exists, or what we can agree seems to exist; the process has been characterised as, when enough people think something is true, it takes on a life of its own."

Steven Yates has characterised the idea that the United States Federal Reserve Notes (not "backed" by anything) are "really worth a dollar" as "part of what we might call our consensus-reality, [not] real reality."

----------------------

“The Matrix is a system, Neo. That system is the enemy. But when you’re inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system.

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.”

It is the world that has been pulled over ones eyes to blind one from the truth.”
Source: The Matrix (1999

----------------------

New International Version (©1984)

And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, -

could this be real reality?
----------------------

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">