• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding tickets from when car was stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmorton1953

New York City

Hello,

I would be interested if you could advise my son on his current situation:

Briefly:

His car was stolen from Elmont, NY in February this year

He reported it to the police (they never filed it and he had do it again)

The car was found in Queens several days later in a car pound

The car had been used for armed robbery and abandoned and was collecting tickets

When he picked up the car, he was told the tickets were cleared and he didn't have to do anything else (He asked this). WRONG. He was supposed to go somewhere and clear the tickets.

On Friday last week, the car was towed from a cinema lot

We found out that the tickets had not been cleared, there were 7 tickets, one was my son’s the others were all connected with the stealing of the car.

No notification was received, reason is the car was registered in CT and all letters were being sent to our former address in CT, even though we had instructed the US Mail to forward mail to my son’s address in Elmont!

We have cleared all the tickets except the one that my son owed

The marshal is refusing to release the car unless we pay the towing fees of $400 approx.

They only tow if there are more than 2 tickets owing, as the majority of tickets were the result of the car being stolen, we believe we should not have to pay the towing fees

Any opinions or advice would be welcome

Regards

Keith MortonWhat is the name of your state?

efflandt

If he tries to use the excuse that he did not know about the outstanding tickets, he may have some explaining to do as to why the vehicle was not registered to a current address in CT. Or if now a NY resident, why was it not registered in NY within the required 30 day period (likewise for driver's license)?

So I don't really know how he can explain why he did not take care of the outstanding tickets without possibly getting into more hot water for improper registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">