• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Park/Standing Prohibited Anytime Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

julesverne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois (Chicago, around 60640)

The story is, I was picking up my girlfriend from work and I was parked on the street where it is pay-to-park. (Just happened, I was parked around 9:10pm, the paytopark there ends at 10pm) As I pull up and wait a minute or so, the Serco agent comes by with a flashlight, checks if I'm inside, and knocks on my window. I roll down the window, and he states that I need to go pay. I tell him that I am just waiting for a few minutes for somebody and so I just pull around the corner, outside of the pay-zone (since that is what I was assuming he was implying). I pull up in a no parking tow-zone and put on my hazards. A minute later, he comes by, knocks on my window and with a smug face gives me a ticket, saying "I told you, you should've paid for the meter". Right after, I asked him, why he didn't tell me to move out of the tow-zone instead? He just chuckled and smirked again "Pay next time, have a nice night.".

Of course, this got my blood boiling. This was in a rather lively-part of night, and everyone around was awe in shock at what happened. A couple sitting on the bench stated some words of comfort, saying that the Serco agent looked like he was having a bad night and was looking to take it out on someone.

So, as of now, I have a $75 parking ticket by Sanchez. The ticket states that it is supported by photographs, in which where it MUST show that I am in the car, parked with hazards. I took photos right after he gave me the ticket, of my location, and my hazards. I plan on fighting this in court, and requesting to see my ticket-agent face to face.

Edit: Also, the address is INCORRECTLY listed. It states that I was parked about 3 blocks from where the address is in the ticket. And there is no tow zone that exists at that address.

Is there any chance of beating this in court?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

What made you think that parking in a no parking tow away zone with your flashers on made what you were doing okay?

julesverne

Next time you want to park in a pay zone, pay. Parking in a no parking zone can get you a ticket.
I honestly thought that it wasn't a crime to stay parked while in the car to wait for someone. I'm sure as you do, that you pay everytime you pull over for 5 minutes for an errand, as a good citizen would.

julesverne

What made you think that parking in a no parking tow away zone with your flashers on made what you were doing okay?
Could you clarify what you mean by "doing", if you are implying or indicating something? Are you referring to me pulling over to wait for a pickup? These are great, please keep them coming as I'm expecting I'll go through some questions similar to these in court.

OHRoadwarrior

I make sure never to tick off the guy with the ticket book. I have found it to be an effective strategy.

I honestly thought that it wasn't a crime to stay parked while in the car to wait for someone. I'm sure as you do, that you pay everytime you pull over for 5 minutes for an errand, as a good citizen would.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois (Chicago, around 60640)

The story is, I was picking up my girlfriend from work and I was parked on the street where it is pay-to-park. (Just happened, I was parked around 9:10pm, the paytopark there ends at 10pm) As I pull up and wait a minute or so, the Serco agent comes by with a flashlight, checks if I'm inside, and knocks on my window. I roll down the window, and he states that I need to go pay. I tell him that I am just waiting for a few minutes for somebody and so I just pull around the corner, outside of the pay-zone (since that is what I was assuming he was implying). I pull up in a no parking tow-zone and put on my hazards. A minute later, he comes by, knocks on my window and with a smug face gives me a ticket, saying "I told you, you should've paid for the meter". Right after, I asked him, why he didn't tell me to move out of the tow-zone instead? He just chuckled and smirked again "Pay next time, have a nice night.".

Of course, this got my blood boiling. This was in a rather lively-part of night, and everyone around was awe in shock at what happened. A couple sitting on the bench stated some words of comfort, saying that the Serco agent looked like he was having a bad night and was looking to take it out on someone.

So, as of now, I have a $75 parking ticket by Sanchez. The ticket states that it is supported by photographs, in which where it MUST show that I am in the car, parked with hazards. I took photos right after he gave me the ticket, of my location, and my hazards. I plan on fighting this in court, and requesting to see my ticket-agent face to face.

Edit: Also, the address is INCORRECTLY listed. It states that I was parked about 3 blocks from where the address is in the ticket. And there is no tow zone that exists at that address.

Is there any chance of beating this in court?

Thank you.
If you are taking up a space in a pay-to-park, YOU aren't the one taking up the space - your CAR is. Use of that space is charged, whether or not you are in the vehicle at the time.

Of course I pay every time I pull over for an errand, just as any good citizen does. I don't have an entitlement issue that makes me think it's OK to take up a pay-to-park space that anyone else that was parked there should have to pay for.

I think you're going to have a VERY difficult time beating this in court. Although, if I were you, I'd go ahead and argue the part about parking there for just 5 minutes, thinking it was OK. I'm sure that the judge will explain things to you a bit more succinctly than we have here in the forums. Of course, you WILL pay for the privilege of having that one-on-one discussion with them... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Eekamouse

Yeah but he got the ticket for parking in a no parking tow away zone that he apparently thought meant no parking tow away zone unless you put on your hazards and you are waiting to pick up your girlfriend zone.

julesverne

If you are taking up a space in a pay-to-park, YOU aren't the one taking up the space - your CAR is. Use of that space is charged, whether or not you are in the vehicle at the time.

Of course I pay every time I pull over for an errand, just as any good citizen does. I don't have an entitlement issue that makes me think it's OK to take up a pay-to-park space that anyone else that was parked there should have to pay for.

I think you're going to have a VERY difficult time beating this in court. Although, if I were you, I'd go ahead and argue the part about parking there for just 5 minutes, thinking it was OK. I'm sure that the judge will explain things to you a bit more succinctly than we have here in the forums. Of course, you WILL pay for the privilege of having that one-on-one discussion with them... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks for your cynical response due to the anonymity of posting online :). I obviously don't think I am "entitled" to being parked there temporarily without paying, that isn't and wasn't the issue. The ticketing agent approached me as if he wanted me to move, to make more room for other cars who'd pay 'till the 10pm time limit'. Since I thought this was the case, I moved immediately to the nearest corner. It was obvious that he had an agenda, God only knows what, but ended up ticketing me for the towing reason. Obviously I'd pay the 25 cents for the 7 minutes of meter time, had he told me or been more direct with me on what he wanted me to do.

I've pretty much figured out my approach, which is honesty and tackling the technicalities of the ticket. I really owe no explanation to the forums on my resolve, but I seem it is a bit entertaining to see all the negative points that I might come across in the official appeal. I'm going to file my claim in court, telling exactly what happened. I've also looked up the exact address on the ticket, and it is stated incorrectly, about 2/3 blocks away from where I was, discrediting the accuracy of the ticket, because it is incorrect. In addition, my car was actually standing, not parked, I have taken pictures of my car. There as well are posted/supported photographs by the ticketing company on their website that proves this. Double checking the signs on that corner, it states a no parking zone, not a no standing/parking zone.

OHRoadwarrior

Now that you have the entire strategy worked out, let me refer you to the cities parking rules which do not allow standing in a no parking zone.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/fin/supp_info/revenue/commonly_asked_questionsoncitystickersandviolations.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The ticketing agent approached me as if he wanted me to move, to make more room for other cars who'd pay 'till the 10pm time limit'.
Your own post shows this wasn't true:

I roll down the window, and he states that I need to go pay.
The parking agent was very clear that he expected you to pay. I have no clue how you can expect anyone to believe that you inferred anything else.

julesverne

Your own post shows this wasn't true:

The parking agent was very clear that he expected you to pay. I have no clue how you can expect anyone to believe that you inferred anything else.
From what I can gather, the collective response of my post is an interpretation of an intentional transgression from my part. This is a simple case of law violation (ie: parking ticket), and the incorrect citation given, and its technicalities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">