• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking citation fee applied to vehicle registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dutchollandmom

California: My mother received a citation for parking in a handicapped space and failing to display her plackard. (she does have a legitimate plackard but was running late and forgot to remove it from her glove box and hang it from her rear view mirror before she exited the vehicle.) The ticket itself slipped her mind until months later when she went to the DMV to renew her vehicle registration. The DMV informed her that a penalty assessment for the ignored citation had been applied to her vehicle registration [in excess of $700] and that she must pay the full fee amount in order to renew.
My mother, not realizing that she had any other choice, paid the fee. (Unfortuantely I didn't hear anything about this until after the fact.)
I know that instead of paying the entire penalty as assessed, she could have gone to traffic court, explained her situation to a judge, and asked for a reduction of the fine. But my question is = Now that she has already paid the full amount to DMV (which virtually emptied her meager savings account!) would she still be entitled to go before a judge and ask for the fine to be reduced? And would the DMV then be required to refund the overage of the payment that made to them?

Antigone*

California: My mother received a citation for parking in a handicapped space and failing to display her plackard. (she does have a legitimate plackard but was running late and forgot to remove it from her glove box and hang it from her rear view mirror before she exited the vehicle.) The ticket itself slipped her mind until months later when she went to the DMV to renew her vehicle registration. The DMV informed her that a penalty assessment for the ignored citation had been applied to her vehicle registration [in excess of $700] and that she must pay the full fee amount in order to renew.
My mother, not realizing that she had any other choice, paid the fee. (Unfortuantely I didn't hear anything about this until after the fact.)
I know that instead of paying the entire penalty as assessed, she could have gone to traffic court, explained her situation to a judge, and asked for a reduction of the fine. But my question is = Now that she has already paid the full amount to DMV (which virtually emptied her meager savings account!) would she still be entitled to go before a judge and ask for the fine to be reduced? And would the DMV then be required to refund the overage of the payment that made to them?
That ship has sailed.

CdwJava

When someone fails to contest or otherwise take care of a parking citation, the citation and any associated fees are placed as a lien on the vehicle registration.

Now that she has already paid the full amount to DMV (which virtually emptied her meager savings account!) would she still be entitled to go before a judge and ask for the fine to be reduced? And would the DMV then be required to refund the overage of the payment that made to them?
The issue is now over with. She had a chance to address the parking citation and did not. She then paid the registration with the penalties.

Sorry, but the time to address this has passed.

davidmcbeth3

When someone fails to contest or otherwise take care of a parking citation, the citation and any associated fees are placed as a lien on the vehicle registration.

The issue is now over with. She had a chance to address the parking citation and did not. She then paid the registration with the penalties.

Sorry, but the time to address this has passed.
What happens if a guy purchases the car .. would the new owner be liable for the additional fees?

fight2thedeath

I live in California too and i've seen this happen! Unfortunately, after the fines are paid, that's it. The DMV and the traffic courts here are EVIL! They don't care how much of an income restriction a person has. Once it's been paid, the case is closed. Sorry :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in California too and i've seen this happen! Unfortunately, after the fines are paid, that's it. The DMV and the traffic courts here are EVIL! They don't care how much of an income restriction a person has. Once it's been paid, the case is closed. Sorry :(
How is that evil? Seriously...if it's PAID without any protest, of course it's done. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">