• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Citation HELP!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

There is no judge (at least, not at the initial appeal.)
Are you sure you know how it works in IL? Its been a while, but the last experience I had with IL, you just mailed the ticket in saying that you wanted a court date. They send you back a letter giving you a court date, and then on that date you go in front of the judge and try to make your case.

Please point out section of code, or law, that backs up your contention that the signage, as described by the OP, was not proper.
I doubt that the code addresses the issue at all, but we all know that on any city street parking can vary from one part of the street to another.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you sure you know how it works in IL? Its been a while, but the last experience I had with IL, you just mailed the ticket in saying that you wanted a court date. They send you back a letter giving you a court date, and then on that date you go in front of the judge and try to make your case.
I looked it up for Chicago. I guess other cities could be different...

I doubt that the code addresses the issue at all, but we all know that on any city street parking can vary from one part of the street to another.
True, but until a new sign comes along that overrides the prior sign, the prior sign rules. (ETA: on the same block...)

LdiJ

I looked it up for Chicago. I guess other cities could be different...
Chicago is a bit of a world of its own. Things don't work the same even in the suburbs of Chicago.

True, but until a new sign comes along that overrides the prior sign, the prior sign rules. (ETA: on the same block...)
I disagree. In general, most municipal ordinances that govern parking state that signs must have a maximum distance between each other and must clearly spell out the parking rules...ALL of the rules. I don't know of any that state that only the ones and the beginnings and ends of the streets are valid.

Zigner

I think Blue had it right ;) I think that it can't hurt to appeal this. I hope the OP gives us an update on the result.

Just Blue

I think Blue had it right ;) I think that it can't hurt to appeal this. I hope the OP gives us an update on the result.
I will always remember this day! "I" was "right"!! :p

Boston Pops are playing in Boston right now!! 1812 Overture (sp?) singing in my head...:D:)

MK84MD

Thank you!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your input. Btw...this happened in Franklin Park, Illinois. I think that I will go to court because I find this extremely unfair. I am a very reasonable person and this ticket is just silly to me. Interestingly enough, so many people have parked in that same spot where I parked, even my husband, and no one else has gotten a ticket. My sister didn't even know about the 15 minute signs until I told her. Odd.....Anyways thank you all so much for your help. I think I will go to court and we will see what happens. I have pictures, so hopefully that will be sufficient proof! Thanks again!

Zigner

You will NOT be going to court. Parking citations in Village of Franklin Park are handled purely through administrative hearings. Also, we're talking $35 bucks here...just pay the ticket.

MK84MD

You will NOT be going to court. Parking citations in Village of Franklin Park are handled purely through administrative hearings. Also, we're talking $35 bucks here...just pay the ticket.
There is a court date on the ticket and I called the police department and they said that I would be presenting my case to an actual judge. The ticket is $50.00. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">