• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking at A curb where there is Parking Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellu

Hi all,
I am a resident of California.
I just got a ticket for parking at a curb last Wednesday. In my parking ticket, it was noted that the violation is parking within 18" of a curb. However, along the curb I was parking there is a sign saying that No parking on Thursday, 12 - 2 pm due to street cleaning. So I thought that we should be able to park there anytime except the given time 12 - 2 pm on Thursday right? I have been seeing people park there all the time and they have never been ticketed. Am I being ticketed by mistake? Can I contest the parking ticket?
Thank you for your kind attention. Any advice from you will be well appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your ticket was for parking more than 18" from the curb. That is against the law.

Ozark_Sophist

Within 18" or greater than 18" from the curb? It might be you were parked too far from the curb.

Perhaps work on parallel parking...;)

bellu

The ticket only says 18" from curb.
I am very sure that I parked at the curb (approximately within 6" - 10" from it)
And to think of it, I thought I was lucky to get a space there. The curb is always full with cars.
Anyway, thanks for the replies

Last edited:

AlanShore

Hi all,
I am a resident of California.
I just got a ticket for parking at a curb last Wednesday. In my parking ticket, it was noted that the violation is parking within 18" of a curb. However, along the curb I was parking there is a sign saying that No parking on Thursday, 12 - 2 pm due to street cleaning. So I thought that we should be able to park there anytime except the given time 12 - 2 pm on Thursday right? I have been seeing people park there all the time and they have never been ticketed. Am I being ticketed by mistake? Can I contest the parking ticket?
Thank you for your kind attention. Any advice from you will be well appreciated.
I am speechless on this one.:p

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am speechless on this one.:p
You were cited for a certain section - the words "18" from curb" are merely a textual summary of that section. Basically, it means that you were supposed to park within 18" of the curb, and you did not.
Take your proof that you WERE parked within 18" of the curb with you when you appeal your traffic ticket.

(Just to save the extra posts that this will bring up...that was said tongue-in-cheek. You will have no way to prove that you were within 18" of the curb...pay this and move on.)

CdwJava

Both wheels must be within 18" of th curb. The same section also covers vehicles parked on the wrong side fo the roadway using the same "18" ..." notation. If the section cited is CVC 22502(a) then you were cited for the right wheels being MORE than 18" from the curb.

22502. (a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter every
vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent
curbs shall be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such
vehicle parallel with and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb,
except that motorcycles shall be parked with at least one wheel or
fender touching the right-hand curb. Where no curbs or barriers
bound any two-way roadway, right-hand parallel parking is required
unless otherwise indicated.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">