• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking distance from a Stop Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdamWe

What is the name of your state? Pittsbugh, PA

First I'd like to thank you all in advance for the advice, good or bad you are going to give me.

I recently recieved a ticket, Parking code violation 3353A24 30 ft from a Stop sign/Traffic signal. I tried to research the Vehicle code online but the only things I could find were that is was illegal to park 20ft from a intersection and/or to obstruct the view of the Stop sign. I was wondering if anyone knew the correct law.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Pittsbugh, PA

First I'd like to thank you all in advance for the advice, good or bad you are going to give me.

I recently recieved a ticket, Parking code violation 3353A24 30 ft from a Stop sign/Traffic signal. I tried to research the Vehicle code online but the only things I could find were that is was illegal to park 20ft from a intersection and/or to obstruct the view of the Stop sign. I was wondering if anyone knew the correct law.
§ 3353. Prohibitions in specified places.
(a) General rule.--Except when necessary to avoid conflict
with other traffic or to protect the safety of any person or
vehicle or in compliance with law or the directions of a police
officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:
(2) Stand or park a vehicle:
(i) In front of a public or private driveway.
(ii) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
(iii) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an
intersection.
(iv) Within 30 feet upon the approach to any
flashing signal, stop sign, yield sign or traffic-control
signal located at the site of a roadway.

(Info gleaned from http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/vehicles/00.033.053.000.html)

AdamWe

Thank you, though I am against this on principal. I believe my car is parked within 15 feet of a fire hydrant currently.

Last edited:

caslerst

Thank you, though I am against this on principal. I believe my car is currently parked within 15 feet of a fire hydrant currently.
Never park in front of or block a hydrant. Firemen are often brutal to cars that are parked illegally and they are within their rights. I have friends who are firemen and they have told me stories about ramming cars and breaking windows.

AdamWe

Within 15 feet is not blocking or in front of a fire hydrant. I think I maybe like 10 feet away. Anyways I am going to check on it now and I'll tell you if I get another ticket. They usually issue citations for blocking hydrants though.

Zigner

Within 15 feet is not blocking or in front of a fire hydrant. I think I maybe like 10 feet away. Anyways I am going to check on it now and I'll tell you if I get another ticket. They usually issue citations for blocking hydrants though.
Have you seen a fire truck less than 20' long? :rolleyes:

AdamWe

There are yellow lines on the sidewalk that indicate not to park there near fire hydrants and other places. They seem to a lot shorter than 15 feet in my neighborhood. That is why it kind of blew me away that the distance is 15 feet. Parking is very hard to come by but hopefully it will ease up soon because the college kids will move back and mooch off their parents.

Zigner

Ahhh, gotcha. Just keep in mind that the yellow marks do not define where you can/can't park. They are "reminders".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">