• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking in Fire Lane Ticket - I was in Driver's Seat with car running

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tompowers44

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I pulled up in front of a Target. My wife goes inside to get cash.....I am sitting there maybe 20-30 seconds. Policeman drives up tells me not to move. He pulls behind me, comes up and writes me a ticket for Parking in a Fire Lane.

Any Ideas....

I don't think I was parking, stopped is more what I would call it.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but he pulled and parked in the fire lane. i.e. got out of his car with it stopped for 10-15 minutes while he wrote my ticket.

If anyone is guilty of parking in a fire land it should be the officer, not me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I pulled up in front of a Target. My wife goes inside to get cash.....I am sitting there maybe 20-30 seconds. Policeman drives up tells me not to move. He pulls behind me, comes up and writes me a ticket for Parking in a Fire Lane.

Any Ideas....

Also, I don't know if this matters, but he pulled and parked in the fire lane. i.e. got out of his car with it stopped for 10-15 minutes while he wrote my ticket.

You were parked in the fire lane. Check the definition of "park".

FlyingRon

Missouri code 63-3-137 Stopping, standing, and parking;
a) "Stop," when required, means the complete cessation from movement.
(b) "Stop, stopping or standing," when prohibited, means any stopping or standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or of a traffic control sign or signal.
(c) "Park," when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading.

If standing/parking is prohibited, you can stand there to let her out of the car or pick her up, but waiting for her to transact business is illegal.

If stopping there is prohibited, you can't even stop to let her out.

HomeGuru

Any Ideas....

**A: nice try. Pay up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">