• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking in front of curb cut out California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowboard18

I recieved a 275 dollar ticket for parking in front of a curb cut out at the end of a sidewalk. It was for blocking handicapped access to a ramp. Violation 22500L in California. There are no signs or red curb. The Driver's Manual for California says it is illegal to park "Within three feet of a sidewalk ramp for disabled persons or in front of or on a curb which provides wheelchair access to a sidewalk." Now my question is, is it possible to get out of the ticket if the ramp violates California's ramp codes? The ramp is on a hill and is very steep and the law says " (Title 24, Part 2, Section 2-3306(b)(1).)
(c) Slope. The maximum slope of a ramp that serves any exitway, provides handicap access or is in the path of travel shall be 1 foot rise in 12 feet of horizontal run. "
So since it would violate the ramp rule it is still considered a curb which provides wheelchair access to a sidewalk? Any chance in winning this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recieved a 275 dollar ticket for parking in front of a curb cut out at the end of a sidewalk. It was for blocking handicapped access to a ramp. Violation 22500L in California. There are no signs or red curb. The Driver's Manual for California says it is illegal to park "Within three feet of a sidewalk ramp for disabled persons or in front of or on a curb which provides wheelchair access to a sidewalk." Now my question is, is it possible to get out of the ticket if the ramp violates California's ramp codes? The ramp is on a hill and is very steep and the law says " (Title 24, Part 2, Section 2-3306(b)(1).)
(c) Slope. The maximum slope of a ramp that serves any exitway, provides handicap access or is in the path of travel shall be 1 foot rise in 12 feet of horizontal run. "
So since it would violate the ramp rule it is still considered a curb which provides wheelchair access to a sidewalk? Any chance in winning this?
No - you will not win this one.

CdwJava

The question you have to ask is this: Can you obtain the city's engineering survey of the location prior to court? Does the survey contain the proper elevation and slope information to show that this is an unlawful ramp? Or, do you have the means to pay for a survey on your own?

Just saying you believe it is too steep is not likely to be enough.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">