• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking in FRONT of my private driveway.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blissed

What is the name of your state? NY (nyc area)
Me and my neighbor share the same driveway (a fork at the end of the driveway leading to separate garages). Is it legal for my neighbor to park on the street in front of the driveway (blockading the driveway) if they have permission from me (and vice-versa)?
I ask because me and my neighbor don't mind the parking in front of the driveway but neither one of us wants to get a ticket.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You Are Guilty

blissed said:
What is the name of your state? NY (nyc area)
Me and my neighbor share the same driveway (a fork at the end of the driveway leading to separate garages). Is it legal for my neighbor to park on the street in front of the driveway (blockading the driveway) if they have permission from me (and vice-versa)?
I ask because me and my neighbor don't mind the parking in front of the driveway but neither one of us wants to get a ticket.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
NYC traffic rule s.4-08(f)(2) permits only the "owner, lessor or lessee" of the driveway to park vehicle(s) registered to them so that they block the driveway and only if there is no more than a 2 family house there. (This also assumes there are no hydrants or other signs which would prohibit parking).

You will still get ticketed (occassionally) as the agents have no way of knowing who owns the car/driveway, but you can get them dismised via mail by sending a copy of the ticket along with a copy of your title and deed/lease for the premises.

Just remember not to park in the driveway so the car sticks out onto the sidewalk - you'll never get out of those tickets, even if you are the last house on a dead end block (guess how I know that!)

B

blissed

Oh, thanks for the information.

So it being a shared driveway shouldn't make a difference as long as everyone who uses the driveway agrees upon it, correct?

p.s. its a shared driveway for two separate single family homes (the houses not connected in any way)

You Are Guilty

As long as it's the house(s) owners' cars that are parked there, you'll be fine. The trouble is if you have a guest over and they park there and get ticketed. Even if they have your permission to park there, they are not allowed to.

phoneman68

Question about law in N.Y.C. for parking in shared driveway.

Hello. My neighbor and I share a driveway. I guess it's considered a "party" driveway, or a "common" driveway. This driveway leads to a Y in the backyard where each one of us has a garage.

My neighbor likes to park his car, not in the street in front of the driveway like the above person mentions, but instead, he likes to park IN the actual driveway, at the top part closest to the street.

My question is: what is the actual law on the books in N.Y.C. for parking IN a shared, or common driveway?

Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
My question is: what is the actual law on the books in N.Y.C. for parking IN a shared, or common driveway?
First of all, do not hijack a 7 year old thread. If you have a question start your own.

There is NO parking law in regards to your situation. It is PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">