• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Near Mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmelograno

What is the name of your state (California)?
We received a parking ticket in Los Angeles county, CA for " parking at mail box".

This is how the violation reads:
15.64.040 Depositing mail--Restrictions.
An operator shall not stop or park for any purpose other than a stop not to exceed a period of time reasonably necessary for the deposit of mail in an adjacent mail box at those locations marked by the commissioner pursuant to provisions of the Vehicle Code. (Ord. 6544 Ch. 3 Art. 2 § 3214, 1954.)

The way I read it, the area must be marked by the commissioner.
There were no markings or signage.
I have been trying to find a description of the listed ordinance:
(Ord. 6544 Ch. 3 Art. 2 § 3214, 1954.)
I would assume that ordinance would list how the area must be marked.
I can't seem to find it.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Four of us have received parking tickets now for the same infraction. I suspect the parking people are looking for revenue. If we can fight this, that would be great. Once again thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's not marked...I'm not sure what you're looking for. Why do you care HOW it's supposed to be marked if it's not marked in the first place?

pmelograno

Ordinance Verbiage

I figure if we are all going to fight these tickets, I will need the actual verbiage spelled out in the referenced ordinance. Is that not correct?
I would sure like to find the description for that specific ordinance.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I figure if we are all going to fight these tickets, I will need the actual verbiage spelled out in the referenced ordinance. Is that not correct?
I would sure like to find the description for that specific ordinance.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
How do you plan to fight it? If you are going to be allowed to park there, then it must be marked. Otherwise, you can't park there. It wasn't marked, therefor, you can't park there. How can it matter what the requirements are for marking?

pmelograno

So if I understand what you are saying.
Because it " Wasn't Marked ", that is my justification for fighting it?

In your opinion, that is enough?

Thank you.

So if I understand what you are saying.
Because it " Wasn't Marked ", that is my justification for fighting it?

In your opinion, that is enough?

Thank you.
The law is too vague to ascertain if the area needs making to park or needs marking to prohibit. Vague laws are not enforceable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">