• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking next to a driveway ramp that is no longer used

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adbender

What is the name of your state? CA

I was cited for parking next to an abandoned driveway. the driveway was once used for entering and exiting a parking lot. However, the lot was redesigned years ago with a new entrance on a different street.

The driveway is clearly not used as a driveway any longer as the parking spaces in the lot come right up to it and cars are parked there everyday. It would be impossible not to notice this.

The ramp is not painted red, there are no signs, people park there and in similar spaces all over the city- looks like a normal parking space otherwise. Is this ticket valid? I was cited for "parking in a driveway." I think this one is worth the fight- do you?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
adbender said:

I was cited for parking next to an abandoned driveway. the driveway was once used for entering and exiting a parking lot. However, the lot was redesigned years ago with a new entrance on a different street.

The driveway is clearly not used as a driveway any longer as the parking spaces in the lot come right up to it and cars are parked there everyday. It would be impossible not to notice this.

The ramp is not painted red, there are no signs, people park there and in similar spaces all over the city- looks like a normal parking space otherwise. Is this ticket valid? I was cited for "parking in a driveway." I think this one is worth the fight- do you?

Thanks for you help.
It's still a driveway, whether it's used or not. Pay the ticket - it's up to, what, $40 now?

seniorjudge

adbender said:

Thanks for you help.
Q: Is this ticket valid?

A: Yes.

Q: I think this one is worth the fight- do you?

A: No.

CdwJava

You can always appeal it and see what happens. But, to appeal, you likely have to pay the ticket up front. If you prevail, you would get a refund.

The cite is technically correct, valid, and perfectly lawful ... however it is possible that whatever Administrative panel the citing agency uses might have some sympathy for you. Bring in pictures of the driveway and the parking spaces on the other side of it and see what they say.

- Carl

CdwJava said:
You can always appeal it and see what happens. But, to appeal, you likely have to pay the ticket up front. If you prevail, you would get a refund.

The cite is technically correct, valid, and perfectly lawful ... however it is possible that whatever Administrative panel the citing agency uses might have some sympathy for you. Bring in pictures of the driveway and the parking spaces on the other side of it and see what they say.

- Carl

My response:

Carl! Did you just get off work? Isn't there a second shift? Look!! There goes a speeder!!

IAAL

CALIFPROLAW2

My response:

Carl, you're a beat cop! The only people "under" you are the janitor and the meter maid.

Vrrooom, vrrooooooooooooooom. Get on your Harley and ride!!

There he goooooooooooooooooooooes!!

IAAL

CdwJava

CALIFPROLAW2 said:
Carl, you're a beat cop!
I am? Wow! Then they are SERIOUSLY overpaying me!

I haven't been a "beat cop" for over 7 years.

The only people "under" you are the janitor and the meter maid.
Cute.

But, since you are genuinely concerned, the janitor doesn't work for the police department.

Vrrooom, vrrooooooooooooooom. Get on your Harley and ride!!
Cool! You got one to give me?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">