• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking in a Non-Market Space

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FMFF

This issued occurred in Florida. The ticket was written by the City of Weston.

In short, I was visiting friends house and parked my car within a non-obstructive section of the road where his housing complex is located. After couple of hours inside I came outside to find a parking citation given to me by the City of Weston, posted on my wind-shield. To my surprised I had been given a $105.00 ticket for parking inside a private community.

Regardless, I began doing my research on the matter and I've decided to post everything I've found here to minimize the work for anyone willing to help. I'm mainly posting here to gain knowledge to any law I might have missed, Federal or State, that could conclude with the removal of such ticket.

The ticket specifically states Ordinance #2010-14, Section #72.02 of the Weston Code Of Ordinance. Under specific violation the following is written: "Unoccupied. Parked in roadway. Non-marked space."

§ 72.02 PARKING IN NON-MARKED SPACES.
No Person shall Park any Motor Vehicle upon any public Street or Right-Of-Way or on any
Public or Private Property in other than a space marked for parking with appropriate pavement
stripes. This provision shall not apply to residentially zoned properties (and the Rights-Of-Way
adjacent thereto), to property actually occupied by a Single-Family Residence, Public Schools,
and/or municipal facilities, nor authorized vehicles engaged in the Construction, maintenance or
inspection of Roadway facilities or Landscaping.

This is where my interpretation of the law is a bit skewed. According to the above, it states both "residentially zoned properties" and specifically "Single-Family Residence". The complex in which this ticket was given is categorized by §124.10 of the Ordinance as a "MF1-Villa and Townhouse", which is under "Multiple Family Districts" §124.15, not "Single Family Districts" §124.14.

My car was parked in a non-obstructive corner of the street (seen in these photo here: http://imgur.com/a/gFkhB ), and was in no way, shape, or form blocking anyone's entrance or exit. The condominium in question is an open-gated community, and no where within the location where I parked, or anywhere around the location, is there a sign prohibiting parking outside the marked spaces. The "guests spot" (close to the location) were all full, and thus at last resort I parked within the best spot I could find.

You may see the location better here: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.1026049,-80.3694047,3a,75y,282.46h,65.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_DqhQ649HTv6pGIOGxNicg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

At this point I'm not certain how to progress from here, and thus seeking any possible advice.

Thank you in advance,
FMFF.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...no where within the location where I parked, or anywhere around the location, is there a sign prohibiting parking outside the marked spaces.
Signs do not have to be posted to advise you of every possible law in existence.

If you feel you're right then plead not guilty and have your day in court. You'll then get a chance to make your argument and have your case adjudicated.

Obviously, the officer who wrote the ticket felt your vehicle was in violation, but not every officer is right all of the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">