• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Pass trouble - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcastelucci

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I recently received a summons for theft of services for replicating a parking pass at school. However my intent was not to replicate the pass, it was only to ensure that my car not be ticketed while I was trying to move out of my dorm room that week. This is something that every student has to do and I was annoyed with a previous parking ticket I had gotten for trying to do this. Do I have any case in pleading not guilty? It was the theft of a $10 service for the price of a weekly pass, so I feel that the at least $150 fine is extremely unnecessary here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I recently received a summons for theft of services for replicating a parking pass at school. However my intent was not to replicate the pass, it was only to ensure that my car not be ticketed while I was trying to move out of my dorm room that week. This is something that every student has to do and I was annoyed with a previous parking ticket I had gotten for trying to do this. Do I have any case in pleading not guilty? It was the theft of a $10 service for the price of a weekly pass, so I feel that the at least $150 fine is extremely unnecessary here.
I would suggest that you continue in your education.

sandyclaus

If it was not your intent to steal the services, then you would have paid the $10 to BUY the weekly parking pass instead of replicating one. So, NO. You do not have a case in pleading NOT GUILTY, because you did, in fact, steal the service by replicating the pass. And shame on you, because you already got a previous parking ticket for doing it before.

Clearly, whoever is paying for your education is getting ripped off. The same goes for every other student who thinks they HAVE to replicate a parking pass instead of legitimately purchasing it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This is something that every student has to do...
Really? Why do they have to? Who forces them?

...I was annoyed with a previous parking ticket I had gotten for trying to do this.
Poor kid. Those parking tickets are annoying. I'm sure you didn't deserve it. :rolleyes:

Do I have any case in pleading not guilty?
None that I can see. Maybe you should hire an attorney.

It was the theft of a $10 service for the price of a weekly pass, so I feel that the at least $150 fine is extremely unnecessary here.
That's the whole point of the fine, it's a deterrent - which you apparently ignored. Now you have to pay the price. Are you that hard up that you couldn't pay ten dollars for a pass?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">