• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking on private property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkw777

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ill.
Is it legal for a police officer to enter private property (residential driveway) and issue a parking ticket?

tkw777

If said vehicle is on private property, how does an officer have jurisdiction to enter the property w/o a warrant or being asked to enter?
Also, how is it logical to issue a citation for an abandoned vehicle parked registered to the address for which it was abandoned?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If said vehicle is on private property, how does an officer have jurisdiction to enter the property w/o a warrant or being asked to enter?
Also, how is it logical to issue a citation for an abandoned vehicle parked registered to the address for which it was abandoned?
What were you cited for? Specific code section please...

tkw777

I have no idea of the specific code. Sorry. I'm having a hell of a time even getting info on the situation. But to generally answer your question....
I receivied one for an abandonded vehicle and 1 for no city sticker.
The abandonded vehicle citation even had my address on the citation. Basically saying that my vehicle was abandonded at my house!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have no idea of the specific code. Sorry. I'm having a hell of a time even getting info on the situation. But to generally answer your question....
I receivied one for an abandonded vehicle and 1 for no city sticker.
The abandonded vehicle citation even had my address on the citation. Basically saying that my vehicle was abandonded at my house!
What city is this?

FlyingRon

You didn't answer the question about locale, but I can tell you in many places if the car can be seen from the street and is unregistered it can be cited.

...and no if the car is in the driveway or non-fenced yard, they don't need a warrant, any more than they need one to come knock on your door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">