• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking on the sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anon1m0us

What is the name of your state? Spring Valley, New York

I received a parking ticket for parking on the sidewalk. I know I am not guilty because I was parked on a snow bank which was leveled to the sidewalk. I was wondering, worse case for the scenrio, is a front lawn that is next to the street considered a sidewalk?

You Are Guilty

anon1m0us said:
What is the name of your state? Spring Valley, New York

I received a parking ticket for parking on the sidewalk. I know I am not guilty because I was parked on a snow bank which was leveled to the sidewalk. I was wondering, worse case for the scenrio, is a front lawn that is next to the street considered a sidewalk?
VTL s.144 said:
Sidewalk. That portion of a street between the curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for the use of pedestrians.
You also need to worry about how you are going to prove where you were. Your testimony alone will probably not suffice.

anon1m0us

What is the VTL that defines what a sidewalk is? The quite you provided, I do not fully understand it. "Sidewalk. That portion of a street between the curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for the use of pedestrians."

Seems to me that since the plater strip is not intended for pedestrians, it is not considered a sidewalk...is thst correct?

You Are Guilty

VTL = Vehicle and Traffic Law, which is what makes certain types of parking a violation.

As far as interpreting it, it will come down to whether the judge things the curb area is meant for pedestrians or not.

S

seniorjudge

anon1m0us said:
What is the VTL that defines what a sidewalk is? The quite you provided, I do not fully understand it. "Sidewalk. That portion of a street between the curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for the use of pedestrians."

Seems to me that since the plater strip is not intended for pedestrians, it is not considered a sidewalk...is thst correct?
What's a plater strip?

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
And unless you were in Munich, Vienna, Salzburg, Rome or Innsbruck forget about winning.
Or in Paris where parking on the sidewalk is <<une droit du Dieu>>.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">