+ Reply to Thread
    mau99 is offline Member

parking on sidewalk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

I rented a car and parked my car at the end of a row of cars in the parking lot
    of the rental agency which is on a highway. When I returned to get my car, there was a $20 ticket for parking on the sidewalk. There is no sidewalk.
    I went to the police station and was told that I either have to pay the ticket, talk to the cop, who works 12 a.m - 8 a.m., or "plead not guilty" and go to court. When I said there was no sidewalk, a cop asked if there was dirt, which there is. He said that there is a city ordinance that one cannot park within 8 feet of the highway. When I later looked at the ticket there were a list of violations. One is you cannot park within 8 feet of a fire hydrant; nothing about not parking within 8 feet of the street. I said what the rental agent said to me- they park a row of cars closer to the street than I was parked, and they have been there for years. He said that they were lucky they did not get tickets. When I walked into the police station, I thought it strange that there were 2 windows of offices - one solely for tickets with a few people in each of the offices- looks like it is big business here. Any suggestions
    Isis1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mau99 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

I rented a car and parked my car at the end of a row of cars in the parking lot
    of the rental agency which is on a highway. When I returned to get my car, there was a $20 ticket for parking on the sidewalk. There is no sidewalk.
    I went to the police station and was told that I either have to pay the ticket, talk to the cop, who works 12 a.m - 8 a.m., or "plead not guilty" and go to court. When I said there was no sidewalk, a cop asked if there was dirt, which there is. He said that there is a city ordinance that one cannot park within 8 feet of the highway. When I later looked at the ticket there were a list of violations. One is you cannot park within 8 feet of a fire hydrant; nothing about not parking within 8 feet of the street. I said what the rental agent said to me- they park a row of cars closer to the street than I was parked, and they have been there for years. He said that they were lucky they did not get tickets. When I walked into the police station, I thought it strange that there were 2 windows of offices - one solely for tickets with a few people in each of the offices- looks like it is big business here. Any suggestions
    prove you were parked more than 8 feet from the highway, or pay the ticket.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isis1 View Post
    prove you were parked more than 8 feet from the highway, or pay the ticket.
    apparently that was not an option on the ticket.
    -----------------------------

So, either pay the ticket or fight it. I would think you have a decent chance of winning, especially if you have a photograph that shows no sidewalk where you were parked.

the thing is: which is cheaper to do?
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    OP has no standing in this matter to contest the ticket - it was a rental car.
    The rental company will pay the ticket and bill the OP's account. Problem solved