• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking On A Sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mybabystephen93

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Las Vegas, NV
I have lived in my house for 16 years, and we just had some new people move in next door. And my husband;s car was parked on the sidewalk in front of their house. And they came over and asked my husband to move his car so they can park there. Do we have to move our car? They don't own the sidewalk. What is the law, because I haven't ever heard of anybody doing this before. Thanks, Carol

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Las Vegas, NV
I have lived in my house for 16 years, and we just had some new people move in next door. And my husband;s car was parked on the sidewalk in front of their house. And they came over and asked my husband to move his car so they can park there. Do we have to move our car? They don't own the sidewalk. What is the law, because I haven't ever heard of anybody doing this before. Thanks, Carol
Parked on the sidewalk, or on the street in front of their house?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's actually the WRITTEN law of the state.

NRS 484B.450 Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places.

1. A person shall not stop, stand or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, in any of the following places:

(a) On a sidewalk;

(from http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-484B.html#NRS484BSec450)

Last edited by a moderator:

mybabystephen93

Parking in front of a neighbors house

Sorry, I was talking about in front of their house. they live next door to us and my husbands car was parked in front of the house because there was someone else parked in front of our house, which is common. But I don't think I have a right to go to my other neighbor on the other side of us and tell them to move their car. This neighbor just moved in and the last two days came over and told my husband to move his car. Is he allowed to do this?
Thanks

mybabystephen93

It's actually the WRITTEN law of the state.

NRS 484B.450 Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places.

1. A person shall not stop, stand or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, in any of the following places:

(a) On a sidewalk;

(from NRS: CHAPTER 484B - RULES OF THE ROAD)
Sorry, I was talking about in front of their house. they live next door to us and my husbands car was parked in front of the house because there was someone else parked in front of our house, which is common. But I don't think I have a right to go to my other neighbor on the other side of us and tell them to move their car. This neighbor just moved in and the last two days came over and told my husband to move his car. Is he allowed to do this?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TinkerBelleLuvr

The street is PUBLIC right-of-way. You don't have to move your car. They'll get over it. It is NOT their private property. As nice as it is to park in front of your home, it still NOT a right. How about they park in their garage? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">