• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking/Stopping in a bus zone CVC 22500(i) ticket in Oakland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gabam

First of all, I am an Uber driver and everyone thinks that we are law-breaking morons. In my case, I follow traffic rules like religion. But I am really struggling with picking and dropping people, as I have to stop for that. I really don't know how to handle those situations. Anyways, last night I was waiting for a passenger on Broadway in Oakland, and I was double parked. I didn't want to stop the flow of the traffic(though there wasn't much traffic and they could simply go around me).I saw some space on the ride side and I pulled in there and stopped with my lights blinking. It was dark and raining, and visibility was bad too. The sherrif passed by me, and got out of his car. He asked me for my driving license, proof of insurance, and registration. I gave him everything. He came back with a parking ticket which says "County of Almeda -AC Transit, Parking Violation Notice Code 2017". And the violation is "CVC 22500(i) Parking/Stopping in a bus zone". I was really nervous as I thought I was getting a moving violation ticket of some sort. I have good driving record with no tickets. I was totally stopped(parked) and my seat belt on. I was not moving at all. He told me that I am parked in a bus zone with red painted curb. On asking, the sheriff told me that it is not a moving violation and carries no points.
Now I could ask them to review this ticket, but I don't think I will win it. I think once you get a ticket, you are doomed, there is no chance of winning anything. Now if I pay this ticket, will it affect my driving record in any way? I am willing to pay it and have peace of mind. I will think that my two days' income went to paying this parking ticket. I am feeling nervous because the officer asked me for my driving license, and God knows what he did with my driving license. A don't know why he needed my details to issue a parking ticket. This is why I am feeling nervous. And one more thing, there are three boxes on the ticket, Unoccupied, Driver, and Passenger only. And the "Driver" box is checked. And Comments section says, "Parked in bus zone marked with sign and painted red curb" Looking forward to your wonderful and helpful replies.

Thank you so much

Last edited:

adjusterjack

I am feeling nervous because the officer asked me for my driving license, and God knows what he did with my driving license. A don't know why he needed my details to issue a parking ticket.
Because you were in the car. That's all. Don't sweat it.

Now if I pay this ticket, will it affect my driving record in any way?
I don't think so.

The following site list CA violations and the points that go on a driving record.

http://helpwithtrafficticket.com/points-on-your-license/

The 22500 series is not listed so my best guess is that it's just a parking ticket, harmful only to your wallet.

CdwJava

Does the cite say it is a "Notice to Appear" and give you a court date? If so, then it's a traffic cite (absent the points). If it does not include a court date and states "Parking Citation" or something similar, then it is a pay-and-move-on sort of thing.

A parking citation is a quasi-civil affair whereas a traffic cite is a quasi-criminal one.

CdwJava

Though, the NTA is waaaay more expensive than a parking cite! Ironically, the city would receive MORE money on the cheaper parking cite than they would on the more expensive moving citation.

gabam

Does the cite say it is a "Notice to Appear" and give you a court date? If so, then it's a traffic cite (absent the points). If it does not include a court date and states "Parking Citation" or something similar, then it is a pay-and-move-on sort of thing.

A parking citation is a quasi-civil affair whereas a traffic cite is a quasi-criminal one.
It does not give any court date, or notice to appear. It says, "Parking Violation Notice Code 2017". And on the back of the ticket this is what what it says.
"FAILURE TO RESPOND: Failure to pay the penalty or to respond to the citation processing agency within 21 days will result in a penalty increase and notification will be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles to withhold your vehicle registration renewal. Repeated violations may result in the impounding of your vehicle(California vehicle code section 22651 and 22651.3).
For a period of 21 calendar days from the mailing of the notice of delinquent parking violation, a person may request an initial review of the notice by the issuing agency. This request must be made in writing or in person at the below address."

What do you think now, should I go ahead and pay this ticket?

CdwJava

That's a parking ticket. You can contest it using the process provided by the agency involved, or, pay it and have done with it.

gabam

That's a parking ticket. You can contest it using the process provided by the agency involved, or, pay it and have done with it.
I don't believe I can win it. I don't think anyone can win cases against the city. I will go ahead and pay it. Thanks for your previous time my friends.

gabam

Stop blaming "the system" - you will not win because you were wrong - and that's the only reason you would lose.
I am not blaming the system. I have only one complaint. The officer could have warned me to move out, it is the bus zone, as I had no idea in that dark rainy night that I was in a bus zone. He passed by me, and instead of taking the time to give me a ticket, he could have simply stopped for 2 seconds to tell me to get out of there. I was in the car, the engine was on, and even my seat belt was on, I could have obediently moved out. But no, $260 was too much money for them to miss.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not blaming the system. I have only one complaint. The officer could have warned me to move out, it is the bus zone, as I had no idea in that dark rainy night that I was in a bus zone. He passed by me, and instead of taking the time to give me a ticket, he could have simply stopped for 2 seconds to tell me to get out of there. I was in the car, the engine was on, and even my seat belt was on, I could have obediently moved out. But no, $260 was too much money for them to miss.
He didn't get you to pull in money. He got you because YOU parked illegally (yes, you were parked). He was under no obligation whatsoever to give you a warning or tell you to move on. You say that you could have obediently moved out, but it's just as reasonable to expect that you obediently wouldn't have been there in the first place.

gabam

He didn't get you to pull in money. He got you because YOU parked illegally (yes, you were parked). He was under no obligation whatsoever to give you a warning or tell you to move on. You say that you could have obediently moved out, but it's just as reasonable to expect that you obediently wouldn't have been there in the first place.
It was a dark rainy night, and the visibility was horrible. And it was quite and no signs of any coming bus. No way one could tell the color of the curb on that raining night.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I am not blaming the system.

Of course you are. You said : I don't think anyone can win cases against the city.

I guess you're the type of driver that accepts no blame for his mistakes - it's always someone else's fault.

The "you could have given me a warning" cry is really old and tired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">