• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking and Street Sweeping...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bripage

What is the name of your state? California

When I pulled onto my friends house, the street sweeper was just leaving his street. The time was roughly 1:00 pm. At around 3:00 pm I went to leave his street. Thats when I found the ticket. It was timed at 2:15. NO WHERE on my friends street is there a sign that says you cant park. Heres how my friends street is in cordination with the main street:

-----------------------------------------------------------
| friends street |
-------------------------- ------------------------
| |
| |
------------------ -------------------

-----------------------------------------------

Well according to CA vehicle code 22507.6 a sign must be posted at each entrance to the street were the restriction is going to take place. The sign was placed on the main street intersection:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| |
--------------------------------- ----------------------------
| |
| |
-------------------------------- -----------------------------
^---- SIGN HERE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to know if this is allowed by the vehicle code. Also, is there any restrictions on how long you can may prohibit parking.

One more thing... isnt the cop breaking the law by parking to write me the ticket? If so, what gives them the right to do so?

B

bripage

Well anyways... posting ruined my nice little pictures. But the sign is on the outward street corner.

stephenk

"One more thing... isnt the cop breaking the law by parking to write me the ticket? If so, what gives them the right to do so?"

You're kidding right? Do you expect the officer to just slow down and throw the ticket at your car and hope it slides under your winshield wiper?

Your best arguement to beat the ticket would be that you saw the street sweeper drive past right before you parked and that parking after the sweeper went by may have technically violated the law but did not violate the spirit of the law (keep street clear for street sweepers).

R

Rowbear

Don't worry about parking tickets they write so many they can't keep track of them all. It's more based on honesty rather than enforcement. If you don't think you deserved it don't pay. If they ever try to track you down you'll have a new car, new plates, and they'll have no evidence you ever parked there.

racer72

Rowbear said:
Don't worry about parking tickets they write so many they can't keep track of them all. It's more based on honesty rather than enforcement. If you don't think you deserved it don't pay. If they ever try to track you down you'll have a new car, new plates, and they'll have no evidence you ever parked there.
That is the most stupid and ignorant advice that could be given. Yeah, don't pay the ticket. When you get pulled over a year from now and the officer tells you your license is suspended for an unpaid parking ticket, and he is going to give you a big $$$ ticket for driving on a suspended and have your car towed ($$$ for towing and impound fees), you decide if it is worth ignoring. My advice? Parking tickets are not moving violations, they do not count against your license and won't raise your insurance. And it is probably not worth spending a couple hundred bucks to hire an attorney to fight it. Pay the ticket then fuhgetaboutit. And don't park on your friends street till after 3.

stephenk

Rowbear said:
This is the advice from someone so concerned about the Constitution and law when fighting his DUI conviction in Canada?

R

Rowbear

Hello racer72, I sense hostility in your response and coming from a grandpa I must take that as a compliment. Concerning my own case stephenk, I do see a parallel with the issue bripage has presented. The attempt at a graphical presentation was difficult to understand but I’m convinced bripage believes in his innocence. There has been a trial and conviction with only a little hope of appeal. Many have requested hearing dates for parking infractions just for a few minutes in front of a municipal judge or referee. A very small percentage, if any, have ever been successful.

So if we can presume bripage is innocent can we assume in this case justice is not served. Is this a case of injustice or is it just a form of taxation. Municipal employees are not perfect and maybe a mistake was made. Due to how the system is build the punishment, a small fine, must be the end result? In the game of golf we call this the “rub of the green”.

Justice is not black and white but more shades of gray. If my response has offended racer72, I apologize. My advice was meant as a probable alternative for the innocent. Oh bripage if for some reason you decide to take my advice, keep the ticket in the glove box. It may come in handy the next time you park in a questionable location. :p

stephenk

In California, your unpaid parking tickets just come up when you renew your yearly car registration, along with the penalties and interest. Plus, if you incur enough tickets, you get your car booted.

R

Rowbear

That’s really nice for the state to collect all those unpaid parking tickets. With interest too, wow!! I suppose they send out a check to the many cities that submit their unpaid tickets. The big city probable doesn’t mail their tickets to state, they ship them in crates on big cargo trucks. For sure the city knows exactly how much the state owes them regardless if anything is collected.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">