• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pietry77

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My vehicle is registered in Michigan but I am visiting in Illinois. Last night I received two tickets, one for my plates being expired and the other for not diplaying a city sticker. Do I have to pay these, when my car isn't even registered in Illinois?

The Occultist

I'm not familiar with the city sticker, and I'm not gonna bother looking it up, but, if MI normally requires you to display one and you got dinged for it in Illinois, then I'd imagine that you do have to pay that; if MI does not require such a thing, then when you go to pay for your expired plate fine (which you are responsible for) you can explain that MI doesn't require it and it should be waived.

If you refuse to pay the fines you are responsible, the next time you visit Illinois you may find yourself arrested. Good luck.

Oh, yes, if you manage to get your plates up to date before you go in, the judge might at least reduce the fine.

efflandt

You certainly cannot park an unregistered vehicle on the street (or parking lots that do not allow "storage" of vehicles), so I do not see how you can get out of that.

But you would have to look up the local ordinance for details about the city sticker, to see if there is any possible requirement to have one on a vehicle not registered in that community. I cannot imagine they can make that stick unless they have seen your car there so long they figured you were moving here and neglected to transfer title and registration within the required time.

Fortunately my city did away with vehcle stickers because they get a big enough cut from riverboat gambling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">