• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rem11

I live in San Diego and received a parking ticket for being parked to far away from the curb in front of my house. I have lived here for 2 years and have 5 roommates who have all parked in the same spot and never received a ticket. I live at the end of a court and where I was parked was on the part of the court where the curb is turned. It is practically impossible to park within 18 inches because the court is so small and you can't swing wide enough to park that close. This would make sense if it was a busy road and I was a hazard and sticking out to far, however I was in front of my own home and in no ones way what so ever. Is there any away to appeal this ticket and not have to pay the fine?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

I live in San Diego and received a parking ticket for being parked to far away from the curb in front of my house.
Were you cited for 22502(a)? Or was it SDMC 86.02?

Both sections require you to park with the right side wheels within 18" of the curb (one way streets being a possible exception along with marked angled parking).

I have lived here for 2 years and have 5 roommates who have all parked in the same spot and never received a ticket.
Then you are all very fortunate. It is not a defense to the offense to argue that you have never been cited for it before.

I live at the end of a court and where I was parked was on the part of the court where the curb is turned. It is practically impossible to park within 18 inches because the court is so small and you can't swing wide enough to park that close.
It is difficult, but it is possible. The alternative might be to park in the driveway and the garage, or park outside the cul-de-sac.

This would make sense if it was a busy road and I was a hazard and sticking out to far, however I was in front of my own home and in no ones way what so ever. Is there any away to appeal this ticket and not have to pay the fine?
The back of the citation should provide the information you need to contest the parking citation. However, since you cannot argue the law, you would essentially be admitting to guilt and asking for compassion. Having worked where you live, I can say from experience that it is highly unlikely that the hearing officer or panel will dismiss the citation for the reasons you outline here. But, you lose nothing but time by contesting the citation, so you may have nothing to lose.

Proseguru

With these kind of tickets, its best to post a copy of the citation and provide a link for folks to be able to review the document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">