• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket By Apt Complex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

invalidmail2002

In michigan I got a parking ticket today, by a apartment compex for a expired meter on there private lot. What legal power do they have (if any) to issue tickets and should I pay it ?

The Occultist

Are you saying the apartment complex issued the citation? If this is indeed the case, then they have your information, and if you don't pay the citation, then they can have you towed from their premises the next time you're there, and you would be responsible for the towing fees. And if the owner of this complex also happens to own other complexes, you can be towed off those premises as well.

If you're saying an officer issued the citation, then I'm not exactly sure of the answer except that I don't believe they can issue such citations on private property.

wirry1422

In most states, a public officer is not allowed to issue non-mving parking citations on private property, with the sole exception (which is specifically written into law in most, if not all states) of handicapped parking violations. But it sounds as if the building owner/manager/or security officer wrote a private parking ticket on the vehicle. Some states do actually allow private building owners to issue civily enforceable parking tickets to violators on their property. However, most states do not currently allow this practice. I don't know which category Michigan falls into. You may want to call the local police department, or go to the station with the ticket and ask them if the private property ticket is indeed valid in Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">