• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket, curb not painted yellow.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanner5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
I recieved a parking ticket, I did not know I could not park in the spot as the curb was not painted yellow. The street is a dead end rd. Ticket said we where not 15 ft from cross walk. Had the curb been yellow we would not have parked there. Can we fight this or we probably will not get anywhere?

proud_parent

346.53  Parking prohibited in certain specified places. No person shall stop or leave any vehicle standing in any of the following places except temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading or in receiving or discharging passengers and while the vehicle is attended by a licensed operator so that it may promptly be moved in case of an emergency or to avoid obstruction of traffic:
(1) In a loading zone.
(2) In an alley in a business district.
(3) Within 10 feet of a fire hydrant, unless a greater distance is indicated by an official traffic sign.
(4) Within 4 feet of the entrance to an alley or a private road or driveway.
(5) Closer than 15 feet to the near limits of a crosswalk.
(6) Upon any portion of a highway where and at the time when parking is prohibited, limited or restricted by official traffic signs.
Can you present any evidence that your vehicle was parked at least 15 feet away from the near side of the crosswalk?

tanner5

Can you present any evidence that your vehicle was parked at least 15 feet away from the near side of the crosswalk?
No. Besides curb not being painted yellow, there was also no sign saying no parking. All other curbs where painted yellow or had a sign on the through streets. As we had drove around for quite a while looking for a spot to park. Seems this area on a dead end was left unmarked, for people that rely on the area being marked. Lesson learned

Last edited:
No. Besides curb not being painted yellow, there was also no sign saying no parking. All other curbs where painted yellow or had a sign on the through streets. As we had drove around for quite a while looking for a spot to park. Seems this area on a dead end was left unmarked, for people that rely on the area being marked. Lesson learned
Even if you parked illegally does not mean that you will be found guilty automatically. Post the ticket .. if errors are there then you may have an out.

Other information may present itself from the ticket as well.

CdwJava

I doubt that the city has painted curbs within 15' of every crosswalk in the city. Unless you can find somewhere in the city ordinance or state where the law requires these curbs be painted, I am afraid that in the end you are just going to have to pay this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">