• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket dismissed but court costs charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

semar

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My parking ticket was dismissed in court today, but I was assessed court costs.

This implies that the parking authorities can issue tickets at will, and then charge the defendent court costs whether he is found guilty or not. That seems to me to be an abuse of power.

How can I appeal?

Last edited:

semar

In other words there is a fine for successfully contesting a ticket

In other words, there is, in effect, a fine (court costs) for successfully contesting a ticket. I am not a lawyer but it seems to me there is something wrong with being, in effect, fined for standing up for one's rights -- and ostensibly winning.

racer72

The Constitution does not guarantee that your rights are free of charge. Also, taxpayers are getting tired of subsidizing many things. Remember that next time you vote and turn down a ballot measure or inititive because it would cost you more in taxes. It costs me $3 every time I take my grandchildren to our neighborhood park due to a failed tax bond. As costs continue to rise you are going to see more and more of the tax burden shifted from the general population to those that use the provided services.

cepe10

What is the name of your state? Maryland
My parking ticket was dismissed in court today, but I was assessed court costs.
This implies that the parking authorities can issue tickets at will, and then charge the defendent court costs whether he is found guilty or not. That seems to me to be an abuse of power. How can I appeal?
I think we have to pay the "costs" for the court to hear the case. Really the issuing agency or agent should be responsible, (like in the case of filing frivilous law suits) but accountability is not normally one of their strong points so they lobby strongly against anything like this:) Taking the complaint to Governow O'Malley is about all you can do on it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">