• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket for expired registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VWDriver

What is the name of your state? NY
I got a parking ticket for having an expired registration sticker on my car while parking on a public street. I had actually renewed the registration about 2 months in advance, but didn't put the sticker on the car because i thought it expired at the end of february 06... and didnt realize in small print there was an actual date associated with it(2/8/06). Can i send in a photocopy of the correct sticker and registration form and plead not guilty? Or do i just need to suck it up and pay for my stupidity??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
VWDriver said:
What is the name of your state? NY
I got a parking ticket for having an expired registration sticker on my car while parking on a public street. I had actually renewed the registration about 2 months in advance, but didn't put the sticker on the car because i thought it expired at the end of february 06... and didnt realize in small print there was an actual date associated with it(2/8/06). Can i send in a photocopy of the correct sticker and registration form and plead not guilty? Or do i just need to suck it up and pay for my stupidity??
What was the wording of what you were ticketed for? I ask because if it is for having an expired sticker on your car then you are guilty. If it was for not having your car registered then you should be able to fight it because the state should/may be able to tell when you re-registered it.

VWDriver

The ticket cites section 4-08 j-3 of new york traffic rules. This section reads "Vehicles must display valid registration sticker. No person shall stand or park a vehicle bearing a NY plate or paltes unless it properly displays a current registration sticker."

I am guilty of that offense, but my car was legally registered at all times. What happens if you pay to reregister and you dont receive your new sticker in time? It seems like you should be able to submit evidence that your car was registered. But then again... this is how they make their money.

xylene

VWDriver said:
What happens if you pay to reregister and you dont receive your new sticker in time? It seems like you should be able to submit evidence that your car was registered. But then again... this is how they make their money.
In the case the hypotheical case you describe you would have needed to have kept up with the state, and made sure that they were aware of the delay, and that you were doing all you could to get your sticker before the violation occured, and be able to demonstate that your car was registered to appeal.

However none of that is relevant to your case. You got the sticker early, and since the stickers (new and old) are dated, there was no incentive to not replace it as soon as you got it. Well excpet that the stickers a chore.

ecmst12

You could still plead not guilty and go to court and explain what happened. The judge might decide to let you off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">