• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket - expired registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outraged

What is the name of your state? NY

I got a parking violation ticket 1/13 (lucky?) because my registration expired 1/9. I was explaining to the ticket maid that I mailed the registration renewal form to the NYS DMV 1/2, but I have not received anything back from them yet. She said she might have reconsidered had she not scanned my registration sticker, but she said I caught her literally a couple of seconds too late.

I just spoke with the DMV office and they said I might have grounds for contesting this ticket, since they do not have any record of either receiving or processing my renewal form (and yes, even though they are trying their best to give me the runaround, I am still having my car's registration renewed!!).

My question: is the DMV correct, and that I may have a valid reason for contesting the ticket with NYC's Dept. of Finance? Thanks!

seniorjudge

You say you are guilty:

...I got a parking violation ticket 1/13 (lucky?) because my registration expired 1/9....

And I agree with you.

You Are Guilty

If you successfully contest the ticket on that basis, you will be the first person in the history of the PVB to do so. However, check to see if there are any fatal flaws (unlikely if they used the barcode scanner). If all else fails, request a "settlement" from the PVB - an automatic 20% off the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">