• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket for expired registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

Sort of on point, but even if a bit off base, still funny:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/CaseDecisionNY.jsp?id=1202472367036&pStyle=decision&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

(No, not me :D)

Isis1

True story, five years ago, before we were married, husband bought me a car from a friend. Car was unregistered. Bought it THAT day. DMV was closed for the day, planned to go register it in the morning next day. Husband wanted to go to a movie. I said lets take the other car, the one registered. He said, aw, come on! I said if he gets caught, he pays the fees. So, we went to the movies. Parked in a parking structure, backwards. When the movie let out, there was the cops AND the tow truck. Yup, he paid the fees. He hates it when i bring up that story!!

justalayman

True story, five years ago, before we were married, husband bought me a car from a friend. Car was unregistered. Bought it THAT day. DMV was closed for the day, planned to go register it in the morning next day. Husband wanted to go to a movie. I said lets take the other car, the one registered. He said, aw, come on! I said if he gets caught, he pays the fees. So, we went to the movies. Parked in a parking structure, backwards. When the movie let out, there was the cops AND the tow truck. Yup, he paid the fees. He hates it when i bring up that story!!
I would imagine parking back end in is paramount to waiving a red flag saying "hey, there is something going on with this car. Please check it out".

I am sure the cops are quite aware of why people back into a space and since I can't think of any legit legal reasons, I would imagine it does tend to attract their attention.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
... I can't think of any legit legal reasons...
First, not arguing your point, as I tend to agree.

However, it is often times MUCH easier to back my Suburban in to a spot than it is to pull straight in ;) Just thought I'd give you a "legit legal reason" that one may do this.

I_Got_Banned

Not arguing justa's point either, but I ALWAYS back into a spot to avoid rubbing the bottom of the front bumper against those dumb azz concrete blocks/stops....

Isis1

I would imagine parking back end in is paramount to waiving a red flag saying "hey, there is something going on with this car. Please check it out".

I am sure the cops are quite aware of why people back into a space and since I can't think of any legit legal reasons, I would imagine it does tend to attract their attention.
I told him!!!! But he doesn't listen to me!

I was all Duuuuuuhh!

IRISH66

I received the same ticket!

I received the same ticket however it was on a private, non dedicated street right in front of my condo....and all because i got a new vehicle and am going to donate my old vehicle so why should I re-register my vehicle if it's not being driven and is being donated. Aren't they sneaky? They are probably trying to generate mucho bucks because they may not have a contract....the more revenue they bring in the more they get in their contract. I gotta tell you Manalapan cops usually do not give out tickets to their residents (unless it is a major violation) but Freehold Township cops are just downright nasty and sneaky...I love everything about living in Freehold Township EXCEPT FOR THE COPS!

asiny

I received the same ticket however it was on a private, non dedicated street right in front of my condo....and all because i got a new vehicle and am going to donate my old vehicle so why should I re-register my vehicle if it's not being driven and is being donated.
Because you legally own the car parked on a street.
What magical street is this where police cannot enforce vehicle violations?
IAren't they sneaky?
No. It's called handing an idiot a violation for letting the registration lapse for their car.
The best way is in NY.

The sticker is safely affixed to the inside of windshield.
The same as they do in NJ too :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">