• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket issued in my name but not me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davedavalan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My daughter received a letter from a out of town police department stating she has an over due parking ticket. The problem is, she doesn't have a car or a drivers license. I called the department and explained that to them, they told me to call the DMV. I called the DMV and they told me the car is registered to the same name as my daughter but at a different address. They told me to call my local police department, which I did and they didn't help either. Called back to the original out of town police department and once again they told me call DMV. Can anyone give me any advice? I keep getting the run around from all these clowns. It's very apparent they screwed up, but I also want to know how the hell they got my daughters address. This is very scary to know that an innocent person can be treated this way. Thanks for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My daughter received a letter from a out of town police department stating she has an over due parking ticket. The problem is, she doesn't have a car or a drivers license. I called the department and explained that to them, they told me to call the DMV. I called the DMV and they told me the car is registered to the same name as my daughter but at a different address. They told me to call my local police department, which I did and they didn't help either. Called back to the original out of town police department and once again they told me call DMV. Can anyone give me any advice? I keep getting the run around from all these clowns. It's very apparent they screwed up, but I also want to know how the hell they got my daughters address. This is very scary to know that an innocent person can be treated this way. Thanks for any advice.
Is your daughter so unique that she can't share her name with another person? Seriously, your outrage at this seems a bit overboard. It's simply a clerical error.

davidmcbeth3

Is your daughter so unique that she can't share her name with another person? Seriously, your outrage at this seems a bit overboard. It's simply a clerical error.
Well, it is an outrage ! When was the ticket issued OP ? Since they never served her (has no car) then you should be able to re-open the case.

davedavalan

My outrage a little overboard?? It appears that my daughter and I will have to take off work just to drive to this town to try and clear her name. Further, she and I have made several calls, wasting our time to get this resolved to no avail. Yes, it is a error on their part, but to be treated the way we were is just not excusable in my book. What would you do or how would you feel if this happened to you? My outrage is due to the fact, they didn't believe us and not even look into the matter...just assuming we were guilty. now, I do believe YOU would also be outraged if this were you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">