• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket (meter wasn't expired)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Awstin

NJ, Jersey City.
Hi,
I got a parking ticket 42$. OPffence Description says : 26-69 PARKING PROHIBITED IN DESIGNATED AREAS.
Car was parked by the meter.
The point is that when I returned to the car there were still 14 minutes left.
I've no idea what did I get the ticket for.
What whould be your opinion on what should I do next?

Thank you guys in advance.

moburkes

NJ, Jersey City.
Hi,
I got a parking ticket 42$. OPffence Description says : 26-69 PARKING PROHIBITED IN DESIGNATED AREAS.
Car was parked by the meter.
The point is that when I returned to the car there were still 14 minutes left.
I've no idea what did I get the ticket for.
What whould be your opinion on what should I do next?

Thank you guys in advance.
It didn't say that the ticket was for an expired meter. It says that that you parked where you weren't supposed to park.

Awstin

Hmm...
I have to doublecheck that. But I'm almoust sure that the sign was allowing me to park there.

moburkes

Perhaps that space requires a permit even to use the meter.
OR, at certain times, like rush hour, regardless of putting money in the meters, parking is prohibited. Did you read any of the signs around the meter before you parked and after you got the ticket?

Ozark_Sophist

OR, at certain times, like rush hour, regardless of putting money in the meters, parking is prohibited. Did you read any of the signs around the meter before you parked and after you got the ticket?
That could be too. Long ago, my aunt drove my family around DC. Besides touring the 89th and the White House, she provided a glimpse of the benefits of a car with a 'flag' plate (my uncles). Instead of getting towed, she only got a ticket for parking in a space with rush hour rules.

Awstin

Yes I did read the signs. I don't remember now exactly what did they say b/c after reading them I was sure that I can park there. tomorrow I'll doublecheck them and probably will make pictures of them. I park there every day for last two weeks and this is the first time I got the ticket.

and thank you for your fast response.

if someone knows Jersey City I can say that car was parked on Montgomery street next to the St Peter's College (swimming pool).

Not sure if there's a difference it's a rental car with CT plate.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The plates and rental has no bearing. Look for signs requiring permits or ones that say you can't park there during certain hours.

It's been a long time since I was in Jersey City last (other than to pass through on my way to NYC).

Awstin

This morning I had a chance to talk to the parking officer (not the one who issued a ticket).
Based on the offence code he said that I probably parked on the red line. But I said that I really doubt that there's a red line (I didn't see it) because it wouldn't make any sense to put a meter on the red line. So he told me to go to their office and file a complaint. He said that the offence code on the ticked is incorrect and ticked should be voided.
So today I'm going to their office.
I'll keep you posted with the outcome.

The Occultist

This morning I had a chance to talk to the parking officer (not the one who issued a ticket).
Based on the offence code he said that I probably parked on the red line. But I said that I really doubt that there's a red line (I didn't see it) because it wouldn't make any sense to put a meter on the red line. So he told me to go to their office and file a complaint. He said that the offence code on the ticked is incorrect and ticked should be voided.
So today I'm going to their office.
I'll keep you posted with the outcome.
You are still encouraged to go to the site of citation and check for that red line or any prohibitive signs, just in case.

Awstin

Today I went back to the place I got a ticket. doublechecked the signs. It says that
1. mon thru fr 9am-7 pm meter parking 4 hour max.
2. no parking tues & fri 3pm-5pm.
picture is in here:
http://m.foto.radikal.ru/0705/53/daeced12be76.jpg
Red line is only next to the hydrants.
I'm sure that the car wasn't parked there. There are no meters next to the hydrants.
(I parked yesterday wed ~5:56 PM put 3 quaters (90 mins) and the ticket was issued 6:37 PM)
Then I went to the parking authority.
That person that gave me the ticket today has a day off. So noone could answer me why did I get the ticket. Also they said that now it's my word against theirs. I mean there's no proof that car was parked legally.
The other thing is that ticket has a meter number so that would mean that ticket is issued because of the meter but the fine and the offence code states that car was parked in the prohibited area. Fine for the meter should be 29$. (mine now is 42$).
So they said that they'll fix it (amount) and they will call me once that person shows up.
The result either I pay the fine either I have go to the court.
If I really did something wrong I'm fine with paying it but now I've no idea why the ticked was issued.
My concern is that I go to the pool almoust every day and I ussually park in there. What if they will be printing tickets with no reason again...
Now I'm not even sure if I will go to the court. I would have to leave my work one hour earlier and I've no idea how long it might take me in there (court). I don't even know if it's worth it. And again it's my word against theirs.
Anyway I'll keep it posted.

Last edited:

MauriS69

I wouldn't fight it if I was you..... why?? let's say you fight it and win. But you still continue to park there every time you go to the pool. And now the parking maid knows your car and where you park. Next thing you'll know you'll be getting tickets all over town at all times of the day. can you say retaliation??

The Occultist

I wouldn't fight it if I was you..... why?? let's say you fight it and win. But you still continue to park there every time you go to the pool. And now the parking maid knows your car and where you park. Next thing you'll know you'll be getting tickets all over town at all times of the day. can you say retaliation??
I...suppose that's one way of thinking. Except that meter maids don't exactly get in trouble because a ticket they wrote was beat.

Awstin

My point is if I parked the car illegally I don't mind paying the ticket. But now I think that the car was parked legally.
And I don't care about the car as I said it was rental so I keep changing the cars every month :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">