+ Reply to Thread
    edge83 is offline Junior Member

Parking ticket with missing/incorrect info

What is the name of your state? NJ- this applies to NYC

Hi- I recently received a parking ticket in nyc due to alternate side parking.
    There are a number of mistakes on the ticket -- registration expiration date missing when it is on sticker, both plate type and state are not checked, and the 'days in effect' are incorrect. I'm aware of individuals getting tickets dismissed for just a single one of these mistakes.

I have pictures to show things like the registration sticker displaying the date, and the street signs disproving the 'days in effect'

my question is, can the basis of my contesting the ticket be on the grounds of these mistakes alone? can the body of my letter just list these problems on the ticket and refer to corresponding photos?

or do i have to have a claim as to why i didn't deserve the ticket, etc., in addition to mentioning these flaws?
    frankly i don't have any photos or any way of proving anything else, but these ticket mistakes are unquestionable-- can my letter just request for the ticket to be dismissed on the grounds of the missing and incorrect information ?thanks
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edge83
    What is the name of your state? NJ- this applies to NYC

Hi- I recently received a parking ticket in nyc due to alternate side parking.
    There are a number of mistakes on the ticket -- registration expiration date missing when it is on sticker, both plate type and state are not checked, and the 'days in effect' are incorrect. I'm aware of individuals getting tickets dismissed for just a single one of these mistakes.

I have pictures to show things like the registration sticker displaying the date, and the street signs disproving the 'days in effect'

my question is, can the basis of my contesting the ticket be on the grounds of these mistakes alone? can the body of my letter just list these problems on the ticket and refer to corresponding photos?

or do i have to have a claim as to why i didn't deserve the ticket, etc., in addition to mentioning these flaws?
    frankly i don't have any photos or any way of proving anything else, but these ticket mistakes are unquestionable-- can my letter just request for the ticket to be dismissed on the grounds of the missing and incorrect information ?thanks
    Rather than re-type it for the umpteenth time, just do a search for NYC parking ticket and look for any of my responses. There is a simple solution to your problem.

Incidentally, even with a good defense, you're much better off contesting it in person, if at all possible.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    edge83 is offline Junior Member
    you're right-- this is actually clearly marked in the pdf on the nyc.gov website-
    i have been reading so much online to get personal stories/feedback that i forgot many facts from the most important source-

based on their statements about a ticket being dismissed 'under law' if any info is missing or incorrect under certain parameters- and in my case 'required' info is simply missing AND incorrect elsewhere-- i feel like it should be impossible NOT to dismiss it even by mail, but i'm skepitcal.. we shall see, thank you for your response
    Last edited by edge83; 05-30-2006 at 01:08 PM.
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edge83
    you're right-- this is actually clearly marked in the pdf on the nyc.gov website-
    i have been reading so much online to get personal stories/feedback that i forgot many facts from the most important source-

based on their statements about a ticket being dismissed 'under law' if any info is missing or incorrect under certain parameters- and in my case 'required' info is simply missing AND incorrect elsewhere-- i feel like it should be impossible NOT to dismiss it even by mail, but i'm skepitcal.. we shall see, thank you for your response
    What you (and I) consider "impossible" is just another Tuesday to the Parking Violations Bureau. In person, you can clearly establish the right to a dismissal to the ALJ present. When contesting by writing, who or whatever reviews the request then shakes a Magic 8-ball to determine whether to grant it or not. Then you have to appeal, (where they will get it correct), but you have to pay the ticket amount as bond. Plus, written requests can take up to 4 months to get a decision on, while in-person cases are decided then and there.

And yes, I've received quite a few NYC parking tickets in the last couple decades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.