• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket for muni-meter ticket facing down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunny7208

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York.
I purchased a muni-meter and put it on the drivers side of dashboard facing down. I got the parking ticket before the tme expires. How should I fight the ticket?(Can only do online or mail) What evidence should I provide to have a chance to win?
Dont know if this matters but the comment on the ticket is "reciot faced down"

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You're supposed to put it face up so the ticket writer can see if it is valid.
You can bring it to court and plead stupidity.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I know when posting it asks what state you're in but in the case of New York it would also help to know whether it was New York City or not. Other municipalities use the term "muni-meter" so I will ask if this is NYC.

If it is, then I believe the offense is "failing to display muni-meter receipt". Notice that it is not "expired meter" as it would be with a conventional parking meter.

You failed to display your receipt. I doubt very much that you will prevail at your hearing but it doesn't cost you anything to try. You can have a hearing online, by mail, or in person.

Hopefully you won't make the same mistake again. Another gotcha for people is having the receipt blow off the dashboard if it's a windy day.

Good luck and if you think of it let us know the outcome of your hearing.

You Are Guilty

I am about 84.7% confident only NYC uses Muni Meters with receipts in NYS these days. So in NYC, with the "receipt face down" notation on the ticket, the chances of successfully beating the ticket are probably about 1% (I'd say 0%, but mistakes do happen).

The only time one has a shot is if the meter maid fails to make some sort of note on how the receipt was displayed. Once it says "face down", all bets are off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">