• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket placement on vehicle!? blocked fire hydrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hairymango

What is the name of your state? NY

i drove and parked a car for the first time in the US a few days ago, and i parked outside my apartment and blocked a fire hydrant. there was no yellow marking on the curb and I didnt know about this rule (I sure know now).
The issue is that I got a ticket the first night but didnt realise till i got the second ticket the day after, as the first ticket had been pushed in my drivers side door and I couldnt see it when i walked past the car the morning after I parked it. I only realised I was getting fined 115 dollars a night when i saw the second ticket on my windshield.
can I fight the first ticket as it wasnt placed correctly? If it had been on my windsheild I would of spotted it and moved my car..........
Thanks for your help

BelizeBreeze

Welcome to America.

You have no issue with the placement of the ticket. Either pay it or not. But you're lucky on two counts:

1. they did not tow your car and;
2. the hydrant wasn't needed. Otherwise, you could be facing criminal charges

hairymango

Thanks for the welcome

when I contacted the parking violation agency they told me that the ticket must be placed on the windshield of the vehicle - otherwise officers could hide tickets anywhere on your car

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Welcome to America.

You have no issue with the placement of the ticket. Either pay it or not. But you're lucky on two counts:

1. they did not tow your car and;
2. the hydrant wasn't needed. Otherwise, you could be facing criminal charges
Or had your windows bashed out if they had needed to run a hose through where your car was sitting.

I didnt know about this rule

It would seem that common sense would dictate that you do not park near emergency items, regardless of the country.

hairymango

Ok just to clarify that I now know that i shouldnt of parked in front of a fire hydrant - I know what could of happened (towed, smashed windows etc etc) what Im am asking advice about is where should the officer should of placed the first ticket. I am willing to pay for one of the tickets but not both.
I have driven in many countries, and all have signs or markings for areas you can not park. the US has a yellow strip on the curb by fire hydrants - the one I parked next too didnt.

BelizeBreeze

It doesn't matter if you want to pay or not. You're going to pay. In THIS country when you are ticketed for parking illegally you are given time to rectify the situation. You did not, as evidenced by your post, and another ticket for another infraction for another date and time was issued.

You have no defense.

S

seniorjudge

hairymango said:
Ok just to clarify that I now know that i shouldnt of parked in front of a fire hydrant - I know what could of happened (towed, smashed windows etc etc) what Im am asking advice about is where should the officer should of placed the first ticket. I am willing to pay for one of the tickets but not both.
I have driven in many countries, and all have signs or markings for areas you can not park. the US has a yellow strip on the curb by fire hydrants - the one I parked next too didnt.
Q: what Im am asking advice about is where should the officer should of (sic) placed the first ticket.

A: On your car, exactly where you said it was: "...The issue is that I got a ticket the first night but didnt realise till i got the second ticket the day after, as the first ticket had been pushed in my drivers side door and I couldnt see it when i walked past the car the morning after I parked it...."

hairymango

"In THIS country when you are ticketed for parking illegally you are given time to rectify the situation."

How do you know you have parked illegally and given time to rectify the situation if an officer is allowed to hide the ticket anywhere on the car??. I dont think he is allowed to place it in crack of the drivers side door. It cant be seen from the sidewalk, and is not clearly displayed on the front of the car. Would I be allowed to 'display' my license and inspection details anywhere I choose, as long as its displayed on the car. i think not - It needs to be displayed on the front left of the car windshield.

"senior judge A: On your car, exactly where you said it was: "

Do you know that for a fact? that wasnt what I was told when I spoke to the parking violation helpline. i was told it needs to be on the windshield.

Ill plead not guilty to the first offense and guilty to the second. Ill be sure to get back to you with the results. I think I do have a defense.

ENASNI

look

Tis New York... New Yorkers have a funny sense of humor, how do you know it wasn't one of them that moved it? Did you have out of country plates? Was it a rental car? That would set me off (transplanted New Yorker here... since mellowed out a bit.)

Maybe a New Yorker was mad you were parked by a hydrant, and hid your ticket... and it wasn't the officer... huh?

So stop your whining... go get a razor and shave that mango, its out of control!

You Are Guilty

Had you actually READ the DMV handbook when you got your license (you ARE licensed, right?) you would have known it is illegal to park within 15' of the hydant and that there is no requirement that the curb be painted yellow, blue, green or taupe.

As everyone who previously responded noted, you have no defense. You can get a ticket every minute your car is parked illegally. One per day is never dismissed. Welcome to NY.

ENASNI

hum

You Are Guilty said:
Had you actually READ the DMV handbook when you got your license (you ARE licensed, right?) you would have known it is illegal to park within 15' of the hydant and that there is no requirement that the curb be painted yellow, blue, green or taupe.

As everyone who previously responded noted, you have no defense. You can get a ticket every minute your car is parked illegally. One per day is never dismissed. Welcome to NY.
hum YAG... You forgot the "Hyaena-like" life that says... well.. I forget what It says but it is friday.. and I am too tired to google it is "What you see is what you know??? :confused: " "

Last edited:

wirry1422

Well you have learned from this experience, i'll bet. One of the few times that no "no parking" signs are required is for a fire hydrant (another would be drive ways or in cross-walks) Yes, hydrants usually have a painted yellow curb dilineating the 15 feet along the curb in which it is illegal to park a vehicle, but the yellow paint is a courtesy. It is not required. The problem is that the ticket on the windshield is not a "no parking" sign, it is notice to you that you have violated a parking rule and have been cited for the violation. The "no parking" signs, or in your case, the bright red fire hydrant itself is the legal indication that you are parked illegally and subject to ticketing. In your defense, you are saying that you did not know what a fire hydrant was, or that parking near one was illegal. First, i have traveled around the world extensivly, and unless you just emigrated from a small town in Uganda, i don't believe that you have no knowledge of the concept of a fire hydrant, and a judge won't either. Secondly, by your logic, anyone who has just moved to this country and cannot read english, or who has never seen parking signs would never be responsible for parking illegally, meaning no NY City taxi drivers would ever be liable for a parking ticket. The next issue is that legally, the red hydrant is the no parking sign, just as the sign in a no standing zone is the no parking sign, or the cuttout for the drive way is the no parking sign. The ticket is not the "no parking sign" it is you indication that you have been fined for violating the parking rules. So as long as the hyrant was clearly visible next to your car, and the officer observed you parking there at the time and date on each ticket, you have no defense. And yes, if you had a license you would know this, as the DMV manual, which all drivers are required to read prior to taking the written driving test, indicates the regulations regarding parking near fire hydrants. You're lucky if you don't get another ticket in court for operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver's license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">