• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket - Regular parking space converted to handicapped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ast33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Got a ticket on a parking space on the street where the sign was recently changed and it got converted to a handicapped parking space. I have been parking on that same space off and on for almost a year and out of habit parked on it one night when returning from work when i saw it vacant. Now i know how it was still vacant!!! at 8:30 p.m. Anyhow, Is there any clause in a situation like this whereby the ticket can be dismissed or at the least reduced? It's a $250 first offense. Just to reiterate a couple of points, exact same space got converted by simply replacing the vertical sign on the street, there was no new marking on the ground to indicate a handicapped parking space... in other words, everything else about that space is exactly the same except the sign!!

Last edited:

The Occultist

In New Jersey, the sign is typically enough to transform the space into a handicap space, i.e. no ground markings are required. There are, however, some details you may find interesting.

What kind of parking space is this? parallel to the street? or perpendicular? If the latter, then the space must be at least 8 feet wide with the cross-hatch marks next to it or else it does not qualify as a handicap spot. Also, does the new sign, on top of having the handicap signal, also have a sign that states the penalties for parking there? It seems that is also a requirement.

JETX

Is there any clause in a situation like this whereby the ticket can be dismissed or at the least reduced?
If the sign is clearly visible, it is unlikely that the court would reduce the fine. It is incumbent on you (driver) to be aware of parking restrictions.

ast33

Thanks... Court date today

Thanks for the info. Have the court date today, shall post the outcome. Is there a typical protocol to follow to plead guilty of parking on the handicapped space but request a dismissal or a reduced fine by explaining that it was parked out of habit since the same space was a regular parking space up until a few weeks ago?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">