• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bustardvan

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Hey everybody, heres my story. Thanks in advance for all your help!
About 6 weeks ago I parked at school and went to class as usual. I came back after class and found a parking ticket on my windshield. The citation stated no parking sticker displayed. I was surprised because I always have my parking sticker on my windshield. Its the sticky kind and I never take it off.
Well, what happened is that my parking sticker fell off my windshield and was lying face up on the drivers seat. I believe what caused the sticker to fall off was the heat wave that had just started that week. The temp. spiked up like 20degrees that week.

So I then went to talk to the the campus security and explained my situation. He said okay and I can get it cleared by submitting a copy of my parking sticker, proof/receipt of buying a quartly parking sticker, the citation, and a quick explaination of what happened to the city of San Jose (the citations given at my school are handled by the city of San Jose).

I did just that and today I received the "result of initial review". It says "After careful review we determined that the citation is valid. Evidence submitted does not prove that the parking permit was displayed properly at the time of the citation."

I don't believe its my fault. I have a parking sticker I bought at the beginning of the quarter and don't think I have to pay this since the heat made my cheaply-made sticky parking permit fall off. I did everything the issuing officer said. Im a poor college student and dont want to give more of my money to the school/city.

So what can i do now?

P.S. I just realized this today. On my citation and the letter I received today they wrote my license plate incorrect. Instead of XXXXX93, they wrote XXXXX33.

THANKS AGAIN! I really appreciate it.

JETX

bustardvan said:
I did just that and today I received the "result of initial review". It says "After careful review we determined that the citation is valid. Evidence submitted does not prove that the parking permit was displayed properly at the time of the citation."

I don't believe its my fault.
So, explain that to the court. Oh, and no one said it was your fault... only that the sticker was not PROPERLY displayed at the time (and from your own post, it clearly was not).

I have a parking sticker I bought at the beginning of the quarter and don't think I have to pay this since the heat made my cheaply-made sticky parking permit fall off. I did everything the issuing officer said. Im a poor college student and dont want to give more of my money to the school/city.

So what can i do now?
You go to court and present your defense.

P.S. I just realized this today. On my citation and the letter I received today they wrote my license plate incorrect. Instead of XXXXX93, they wrote XXXXX33.
So what. Since you got the information by mail, they clearly know who and where you are. Or, you can take the HUGE risk of ignoring the citation and hope you turn invisible.

CdwJava

You now have the option to take it to court. That information should be on the response from the parking ticket appeal. If not, contact that issuing agency and see how you would go about taking it to court. Keep in mind that if as mentioned the violation is for failing to properly display the parking permit, you may still be out of luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">