• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Ticket or State Highway Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjm512

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My wife borrowed my car and got a ticket while parked in a No Parking Zone. I found out much later when the state sent me an additional fine for not paying the ticket. I paid the original $5.00 ticket and the $55.00 additional fine.

Three months later I find out that my insurance excellent Safe Driver's points are reduced to zero because the above ticket was issued on the car's owner (me). The description of this ticket is "State Highway Violation", with additional information of CHP:720, SECT:900, SS:OT. The sore spot is that this $5.00 ticket will cost me over $500.00 because of the insurance over multiple years.

My questions are these:
1) How can a Parking Ticket be a State Highway Violation? The car was parked in front of a school on a town road that is approximately 0.25 miles from a state road intersection.

2) I questioned this citation at the town police station where the ticket was received. They said they do not give out Parking Tickets. (Sounds like they needed a different ticket form to issue parking tickets.) I questioned the RMV about the citation and the person said they never heard of a $5.00 State Highway Violation. (Yes, I'm sure they see much larger fines for State Highway Violation citations.) The person at the RMV said I could appeal the citation with a Hearing Officer. Any advise on whether an appeal to the Hearing Officer will work, and if so - anything special I should bring or do before hand?

3) Could the issuing Officer have given a ticket that would not have been against the owner of the car, but something else that would not go against my driving record (i.e., my insurance safe driving points)?

I accept the fact that the parking violation happened with my car, and I'm held responsible for the parking fine regardless of who park my car. But does the type of ticket (State Highway Violation) issued justify a parking violation?

Thanks for any advise. -mjm512

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">