• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket for street cleaning - car color wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

russ0519

What is the name of your state? NY
I just got a parking ticket this morning since I forgot to move my car for the street cleaning on time. $45.

I checked the ticket and it looks like they got the color of my car wrong. It says BLU, while my car is dark green.

Should I be able to fight this? I remember reading something that says that if anything is wrong on the ticket, that I should be able to win.

Also what is the way to fight this. Should I sent the ticket back, or wait until it is in the system? It looks like by the time the ticket gets in the system, there's already a penalty on it.

seniorjudge

Q: Should I be able to fight this?

A: No.

Q: I remember reading something that says that if anything is wrong on the ticket, that I should be able to win.

A: You read wrong.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? NY
I just got a parking ticket this morning since I forgot to move my car for the street cleaning on time. $45.

I checked the ticket and it looks like they got the color of my car wrong. It says BLU, while my car is dark green.

Should I be able to fight this? I remember reading something that says that if anything is wrong on the ticket, that I should be able to win.

Also what is the way to fight this. Should I sent the ticket back, or wait until it is in the system? It looks like by the time the ticket gets in the system, there's already a penalty on it.
Do a search here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php
This exact question has been answered multiple times already.

russ0519

Do a search here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php
This exact question has been answered multiple times already.

You know, you could've at least given me a term to search for. I don't understand what is the point of having the color on the ticket, if it makes no difference?

Also last time I went to fight a ticket in person (which was clearly wrong), before I even saw the judge, they offered to reduce it. Should I do the same this time? Maybe save $20 or so?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't understand what is the point of having the color on the ticket, if it makes no difference?
It's just for reference - I mean, you could have had the car painted the next day and then said the ticket was wrong!

CdwJava

russ0519 said:
Shouldn't the color he wrote match the color on my registration?
Were you present to hand him the registration? If not, then he got whatever he got by looking at the vehicle ... and maybe by checking the registration over the air.

In any event, the color is the color it appeared to HIM. If the license plate, make and model are okay, then the color is not going to be an issue. If he had written WHITE, then maybe you MIGHT have an issue ... maybe.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

You know, you could've at least given me a term to search for. I don't understand what is the point of having the color on the ticket, if it makes no difference?
Color is a non-starter, sorry. You can try "nyc parking ticket wrong color" for your search terms, there are easily a half dozen responses. The reason why the wrong color doesn't affect the validity of the ticket is because the color of your car is not a requirement of the offense - that is, whether your car is white, blue, purple or a combination thereof, you're still guilty.

Also last time I went to fight a ticket in person (which was clearly wrong), before I even saw the judge, they offered to reduce it. Should I do the same this time? Maybe save $20 or so?
It's a relatively new thing they came up with called "settlement". Tickets for certain offenses qualify for an "automatic" 20% discount if you go to a PVB office and request a settlement. If you have 30 minutes, go on over. Once you see the clerk, they are supposed to review your ticket for any fatal flaws and dismiss the ticket outright if there are. If not, you get your 20% discount and you're on your merry way. Most offices even have ATM-like machines so you don't have to wait on line to pay the cashier.

wirry1422

Russ, with all do respect, you read wrong and you are wrong. I'm the first guy on here to advise someone to contest a ticket, just ask around. But in this case, if all other info is correct on the ticket, and the appropriate signs were properly posted, then you are pretty much done. Pay the ticket. For future reference, for a ticket to be thrown out due to incorrect information, the license plate number, make and model must be incompatible. Color is a secondary indetifier and alone is not enough to discard the ticket. And even if that were not the case, blue to dark green is certainly not a stretch. Its not as if the car was neon yellow and they checked off "black". Quit grasping for straws and pay up.

efflandt

I believe people who are color blind cannot distiguish blue from green (based on a color blind person who mistook the color of my jacket). So a blue/green color mistake is not a stretch at all, especially in varying lighting conditions (sunny vs. overcast or twilight when everything may be bluish, or street lighting that is not full spectrum like mercury or sodium lights).

You Are Guilty

Now that NYC has barcode-scanning, computerized ticket printing handheld computers (say that three times fast), the color listed on the ticket is what is listed in the DMV's record of registration. The (unofficial) reason why wrong color won't get a ticket dismissed is because it is quite easy to change the color of your car (and not update your registration). So if wrong color was fatal, anyone who got a repaint would never be able to get a valid ticket again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">