• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking ticket, Zipcar, and leaving the US

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erocruo

I recently received a $50 parking ticket in Long Island for not having a permit (It was an honest mistake - I would've gotten one if I had seen the signs). However, I was driving a Zipcar at the time and will be leaving the US (after a year stay) and returning overseas within the next few days, due to a family emergency.

I'm wondering, if I don't pay the ticket, can Zipcar or the council do anything about it? Would anyone keep track of this anywhere without me actually having a NY driver's license? I just don't want it to backfire when I return in the future.

Thanks!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Even though you have no NY license you have a driving record here and your privilege to drive in this state can be suspended.

This means that when you return and get caught driving you will likely be arrested.

All of this is withing the realm of possibility.

erocruo

So then pay the ticket instead of trying to hide and avoid responsibility.

You think the rental company is just going to pay it for you ?
I'm not confused or asking about my responsibility -- I'm questioning the possible repercussions.

All of this is withing the realm of possibility.
I'll pay it. However, I'm curious about my having a driving history since I've never been to the DMV and the car isn't under my name -- only my Zipcar account.

It's funny to picture that outcome when I see so many NY officers frequently overlook/ignore violations on the streets.

FlyingRon

Most rental cars and I suspect Zip car (I actually have a zip account but it's been so long since I signed up) have in their agreement you signed that allows them to pay any parking tickets and bill you (possibly with an extra penalty).

Pay your ticket or at the minimum it will cost you additional money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">