• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking tickets/ new license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burroughs x

What is the name of your state? New York

I have recently moved to Brooklyn, NY and have been fearing the transfer of my license, as i have a few (5 to be exact) parking tickets in manhattan that have grown with interest. I have read on the DMV website that they have nothing to do with parking violations, but will they have to be paid before i can get my license in the state of NY?

i have an existing CT license, and no unpaid moving violations.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? New York

I have recently moved to Brooklyn, NY and have been fearing the transfer of my license, as i have a few (5 to be exact) parking tickets in manhattan that have grown with interest. I have read on the DMV website that they have nothing to do with parking violations, but will they have to be paid before i can get my license in the state of NY?

i have an existing CT license, and no unpaid moving violations.
From the DMV's mouth:
Note: The DMV does not handle parking violations, or regulate parking. The DMV cannot respond to questions about parking tickets. Contact the locality if you have parking tickets or questions about local regulations. Your failure to respond to parking tickets can prevent the renewal of your vehicle registration or cause your registration to be suspended.

What if I do not respond to a traffic ticket, pay a fine, or pay a mandatory surcharge?

The traffic court or Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) notifies the DMV. The DMV suspends your driver license until you respond to the ticket pay the fine, or pay the mandatory surcharge.

A suspension for the failure to respond to a ticket does not indicate that you are guilty of the charge. The suspension only indicates that you failed to respond to the ticket.

To remove the suspension, you must respond to the ticket, pay the fine, or pay the mandatory surcharge. You also must pay the suspension termination fee of $35 to the traffic court or the TVB. Contact the traffic court or TVB to remove these suspensions.

If you continue to ignore the ticket after you received a suspension from a TVB for failure to respond to the ticket, you will receive a default conviction. The default conviction is equivalent to a guilty finding. The DMV then suspends your driver license for your failure to pay the fine. To remove a default conviction from a TVB, you must pay the suspension termination fees, which total $70.

The suspension termination fees are separate charges from the fines and the surcharges for a conviction. You must pay the suspension termination fees, the fines and the surcharges to remove the suspension.

Some convictions can cause the suspension or the revocation of your driver license. To get information about suspensions and revocations, read the DMV brochure, "Suppose Your License Were Taken Away".
So, unless you owe thousands, the odds are pretty small they're going to care about a change of address. (However, don't expect the same results when you renew your registration).

{edit}
Incidentally, the TVB is not the PVB, which who issued your parking tickets.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">