• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking tickets received for car that was sold to buyer who never registered the car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meczam

NY

This is an update to my thread which can be found here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/parking-tickets-non-moving-violations-44/girlfriend-has-received-8-parking-tickets-car-we-sold-612139.html#post3317083

On 2/10/2015 we received a verdict on the first 2 parking tickets from mid December. The response was "sufficient documentation was provided to proof that registration was transferred" and both tickets were dismissed. The turnaround time was fairly quick, considering my girlfriend didn't send the disputed tickets back for about 2 weeks, so we're talking about 1.5 months for the tickets to be processed and dismissed.

It is of course my hope that even if the remaining tickets are reviewed by a different judicial administrator, the findings will be the same, but you never know.

My question now is, is this just going to continue indefinitely? With the dismissal of the tickets, we're off the hook, but so is the buyer who continues to rack up parking tickets with impunity. I'm going to guess that there is no communication between the traffic court and whoever is responsible for issuing the tickets to the vehicle.

Is there anything else that can be done to end this saga? The precinct serving the tickets was no help, they just said "the car will eventually be impounded due to unpaid tickets" but again, the tickets have been dismissed.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Keep the decisions and send copies of them in with the same evidence for any future hearings.

It was your girlfriend's ignorance which caused her problem. The buyer of the vehicle may or may not have to pay anything. If your girlfriend keeps getting the parking tickets dismissed then the car in question will never be impounded because there will be no outstanding/unpaid tickets against it.

If a police officer goes the extra mile and runs the plate and the VIN he may get the car impounded but I'd say it's not likely to happen any time soon - he/she is more likely to just keep writing the parking tickets.

You should know where the car was parked when it was issued the tickets. If it's regularly parked there then you can try talking to the community affairs or crime prevention officer of the precinct concerned about getting the car towed.

meczam

You should know where the car was parked when it was issued the tickets. If it's regularly parked there then you can try talking to the community affairs or crime prevention officer of the precinct concerned about getting the car towed.
The car is regularly parked in the same general area according to the tickets.

We did call the precinct a few weeks ago, they were no help, if this continues we'll try getting in touch with the crime prevention officer/community affairs officer as you suggested.

As of today, only 5 violations are outstanding, the rest have been dismissed out of a total of about 20, give or take. Of the 5 remaining, 3 are pending hearings and 2 came back with "guilty", even those violations were the same as the others and the same documentation were submitted. We'll be appealing that one, probably do a walk in hearing.

We haven't received another violation in about a week..

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

I hate to say it but calling a precinct will usually get you nowhere - if they even answer the phone.

Usually the crime prevention and community affairs officers are very helpful. Try community affairs first.

meczam

Ok, will do, thanks again HighwayMan.

As of now, 2 tickets- hearings pending, 2 tickets "guilty", 1 ticket with no details (they probably didn't receive her not guilty plea). The rest were all dismissed. She plans to appeal the 2 guilty tickets by mail (if she doesn't get any more), and enclose copies of the dismissed tickets to backup the documentation that the vehicle was transferred. It's not worth the time and effort to go to court for those 2 tickets.

No new tickets in the past week or so .. fingers crossed. Perhaps the car was towed and it doesn't show on the NYC website when I do a search because it's under the new owner's registration if they did in fact finish the transfer.. or they finally swapped out the windshield sticker after the old registration expired last week.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

She plans to appeal the 2 guilty tickets by mail (if she doesn't get any more), and enclose copies of the dismissed tickets to backup the documentation that the vehicle was transferred.
Copies of the dismissed tickets does not prove that the vehicle was transferred. If you're referring to another judge's written decision then the same applies.

You are not permitted to introduce any new evidence when you appeal - it's not a "do over". The appeal is decided based upon the evidence submitted at the hearing and your argument as to why the first judge was wrong. Anything you send in with the appeal that consists of new evidence will be thrown out.

meczam

Oh. Well that makes sense.

Ok then we'll stress that the vehicle was transferred and we provided sufficient documentation in the initial plea to substantiate that.

I asked my girlfriend if there's a possibility that she didn't send in the documentation of the transfer with those 2 particular tickets. She was so overwhelmed with all the tickets and paperwork there's a possibility that she messed up. In which case she's going to be stuck but at least those two tickets are only about $125.. it could have been worse.

Thanks again.

HighwayMan

She has to be methodical about it or it will end up costing her even more money.

All evidence needs to be submitted the first time. By now she should have a package put together that can just be mailed out for each ticket received.

meczam

She's got all the paperwork together ready to go.

So far no more tickets.

Considering we were getting them almost daily there for a while, this 2 week lapse seems to be a good sign.

meczam

Well it took several hours of paperwork over a period of a few months but ultimately all the tickets were dismissed.

I have no clue what happened with the person who bought the truck, and whether or not they were charged with the tickets or whether the car was impounded.

I'm watching the NYC auction site to see if the truck comes up for bidding. :)

HighwayMan

Good. If you send me (private message) the VIN of the vehicle in question I >may< be able to provide more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">