• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Tickets and Registration...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gryndor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex racked up quite a few parking tickets on my vehicle. As a result my registration was put on hold. I understand that tickets follow the car, and are thus my responsibility. In trying to find a way to pay this off, my car has been repossessed. Now what? Are the tickets and registration fines still on me if I were ever to try to purchase another car? Do they still follow the car which has been taken over by the bank? or are they now sticking to me?

I'm aware that I'm a colossal loser at the moment. I am just trying to build back up to some level of respectable.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex racked up quite a few parking tickets on my vehicle. As a result my registration was put on hold. I understand that tickets follow the car, and are thus my responsibility. In trying to find a way to pay this off, my car has been repossessed. Now what? Are the tickets and registration fines still on me if I were ever to try to purchase another car? Do they still follow the car which has been taken over by the bank? or are they now sticking to me?

I'm aware that I'm a colossal loser at the moment. I am just trying to build back up to some level of respectable.
**A: the tickets are in your name correct? So you have to pay them, not your car.

gryndor

The parking tickets were set on the car when my ex was driving it around town... so no, my name doesn't appear on the tickets... they only come up when you look up my car (or when the DMV looks up my car's plate/VIN, etc.).

I'm not trying to wiggle... just trying to be clear. I know that I need to pay for them, and I will, but are they going to pop up when I go to register another car in my name?

The way the tickets were written, and the way I've always ever heard it, the tickets follow the owner of the car (as opposed to the person who's actions earned the parking tickets). And I'm not the owner any more :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The parking tickets were set on the car when my ex was driving it around town... so no, my name doesn't appear on the tickets... they only come up when you look up my car (or when the DMV looks up my car's plate/VIN, etc.).

I'm not trying to wiggle... just trying to be clear. I know that I need to pay for them, and I will, but are they going to pop up when I go to register another car in my name?

The way the tickets were written, and the way I've always ever heard it, the tickets follow the owner of the car (as opposed to the person who's actions earned the parking tickets). And I'm not the owner any more :(
You owned the car at the time the tickets were issued.
Yes, you need to pay them.

gryndor

Pay the fees, and then attempt to seek restitution from your ex.
Unfortunately, there's no way to prove that they're his fault, especially when he's going to deny it.

Plus, I don't have $3800 saved up.

So this is going to be a bit of a process. In the mean time, I have no way to travel the 60 miles to work. I'd move but I can't bail on my house. Is this going to hold up the registration on another vehicle?

gryndor

I know you don't like assisting people wiggling out of their moral and legal obligations, and I promise you that this is not my intention. I have already signed up to make payments on these tickets and fees, so I am set up to have these payed off over time.

My question, that I've posed to this site and the members herein, is not something that the issuing city could answer, nor my paralegal buddy, nor my father, nor anyone else I could ask. I am paying back this obligation but I would like to know should I put forth the effort of buying a little crappy commuter car if I'm only going to get laughed at by the DMV when I go to register it?

The Occultist

You should not have issues registering a new vehicle.

By the way, in your list of people whom you've asked, I couldn't help but noticed that the DMV was not on that list. I find that to be rather odd as that would have been the first place I'd check.

suzanna

Hi - I'm new to this forum but reading the responses to this question reminds me of a mob about to stone some poor individual. Requesting an answer to a question surely doesn't nessessitate (oh my God ! Did I spell that wrong !!?) this moralistic rubbish although I hope it makes you feel better about your own lives. Of course wealth does equal opportunity including the ability to pay PARKING (not traffic tickets )and the lack of .....well apparently your bad and evil? Give it a rest. The fortunate ability to pay does not equal integrity. It just means in this case you get renew your registration. The lack of money does not equal a lack of integrity.
In California the tickets stay with the vehicle. You can buy another and register that no problem. Of this I am certain. As for the tickets they'll go to collections and will end up on your credit for a while. What can you do..nothing so don't worry about it. As for selling your car at auction, there's nothing fair or right about it. They keep the cash for themselves. As for the mob run for your life which is what I'm going to do.

suzanna

Hi - I'm new to this forum but reading the responses to this question reminds me of a mob about to stone some poor individual. Requesting an answer to a question surely doesn't nessessitate (oh my God ! Did I spell that wrong !!?) this moralistic rubbish although I hope it makes you feel better about your own lives. Of course wealth does equal opportunity including the ability to pay PARKING (not traffic tickets )and the lack of .....well apparently your bad and evil? Give it a rest. The fortunate ability to pay does not equal integrity. It just means in this case you get renew your registration. The lack of money does not equal a lack of integrity.
In California the tickets stay with the vehicle. You can buy another and register that no problem. Of this I am certain. As for the tickets they'll go to collections and will end up on your credit for a while. What can you do..nothing so don't worry about it. As for selling your car at auction, there's nothing fair or right about it. They keep the cash for themselves. As for the mob run for your life which is what I'm going to do.

I_Got_Banned

In California the tickets stay with the vehicle. You can buy another and register that no problem. Of this I am certain.
If you're talking about parking tickets, and although it maybe true that initially a "DMV hold" is placed on the vehicle registration, eventually, the DMV can also place a hold on the registered owner's drivers license.
So yes, you can buy another, yes you can register the other, but eventually, having a hold on your license might mean you cannot drive either vehicle even if you wanted to...

Why? You license is also suspended!

Unpaid parking tickets (in California anyway). Are treated as unpaid bills on a credit card. This can go against your credit score too. As well as "holding" that registration or license.

CourtClerk

Not to mention, they are added to any other vehicle registration and the state will intercept your state tax refund...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">