• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Tickets-Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bgiuliano721

What is the name of your state?
New York

A coupple of years ago I was told by someone in the NYC Department of Finance that all unpaid parking tickets (judgements included) expire after 8 years and 3 months. After that time period they are removed from your record. I can confirm that because some of my traffic tickets were removed from my record; however, I ended up making a payment arrangement for the remaining balance. I stopped paying the agreement when the remaining 10 tickets reached the 8 year 3 month mark and waited for them to be removed from my record. It's been an additional 8 months and they still show on my record. Can anyone confirm that the 8 years 3 months statute of limitations is still in existence. I'd like to write to the Department of Fiancne and ask them to remove the tickets...but I also don't want to wake up the next day to find my car towed.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

bgiuliano721 said:
New York

A coupple of years ago I was told by someone in the NYC Department of Finance that all unpaid parking tickets (judgements included) expire after 8 years and 3 months. After that time period they are removed from your record. I can confirm that because some of my traffic tickets were removed from my record; however, I ended up making a payment arrangement for the remaining balance. I stopped paying the agreement when the remaining 10 tickets reached the 8 year 3 month mark and waited for them to be removed from my record. It's been an additional 8 months and they still show on my record. Can anyone confirm that the 8 years 3 months statute of limitations is still in existence. I'd like to write to the Department of Fiancne and ask them to remove the tickets...but I also don't want to wake up the next day to find my car towed.
Somebody fed you a huge line of BS. There is no such SoL period in NY or NYC. What may have happened is that after the 8 year mark, they sent the tickets out to a collection agency, but that's just a guess. They certainly didn't "expire".

And if you had 10 of them, I'm assuming the total amount is well over what's required before the marshalls tow your car on sight for. So be careful where you park while you're straightening this out (I'd start via telephone, confirming the results of the call with a letter).

racer72

Even if there was an SOL, as soon as you started paying on the ticket the SOL time clock was restarted. You will have to wait another 8 years and 3 months. Do you feel lucky?

gattman

bgiuliano721 said:
New York

If yo have not paid the tickets there is no statute of limitations on a citation. Until you pay tehm they will remain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">