• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Tickets for Stolen License Plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jojoisin

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My dad recently received a delinquent parking ticket notice on a vehicle that has not been driven in almost 8 months. I went out to check the car and noticed that the license plate was gone. The same day I went to the RMV and the insurance company to cancel the plate and the insurance. The following Monday I took all the information to the ticket office at the police dept. and thought that once they saw that the plate was stolen and that the license plate, according to the ticket notice, was on a brown Honda and not the white Taurus that it belongs to, that they would dismiss the fine without a problem. Much to my dismay, I was told that my dad was responsible for any tickets written before the time the plates were cancelled and reported stolen. I tried to explain that my dad is 82 and a 100% disabled veteran and that he's been housebound since January 2003. This didn't make a bit of difference I was told because he could have lent the plates out to someone else -- it happens all the time. I can honestly say that this did not happen in this case. I told the person that we would appeal this and he said go ahead, but that he would be the person we will be appealing to. I set up an appeal date anyway, which will be coming up on August 14. We have since received a second deliquent parking ticket notice. Aside from the fact that my dad is on a fixed income and can't afford to be paying for someone else's violations, this is just not right. Any advice on how we can prepare for the appeal would be very much appreciated.

MitchelPeterr

That's just wrong

I'm really sorry to hear that. I work with disabled children and have Tourette's Syndrome, OCD, and bipolar disorder myself, so I know what it's like to struggle through life and fight for your rights. I just got a missing license plate ticket 10 minutes after the police officer left who recorded the case. I came out of the store to see a ticket on my windshield, and I'm afraid that they'll rush me through (like always) and just grab my money. When are we going to start addressing issues at a local level in this f'ing country.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...my dad is 82 and a 100% disabled veteran and that he's been housebound since January 2003...
Then the car should have been disposed of somehow.

The police do not adjudicate tickets. You need to go to court for that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Or to be a bit more blatant about it, clearly no one but Steve noticed that this thread is from 2003! I think we can assume that the situation is long since resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">