• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking tickets and tow order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almostleo

What is the name of your state? IL with IA license plates
I recently moved to Illinois and my girlfriend racked up a bunch of parking tickets on my car while I had my Iowa plates. A tow order was issued on my car but it has not been towed yet... I recently retitled my car to Illinois with illinois License plates. My question is if i dont pay the fines, can they do anything to my car now that I have different license plates?
If they can, what if I just sell my car? They wont do anything to the car then right?
I just wanna get off these tickets and I am not in talking terms with my now ex girlfriend to demand the payment for her tickets.
So pleaser dont't give me any moral advice, just tell me legally what the city can do.

xylene

almostleo said:
I just wanna get off these tickets and I am not in talking terms with my now ex girlfriend to demand the payment for her tickets.
So pleaser dont't give me any moral advice, just tell me legally what the city can do.
Your car = your tickets = you pay. There is no my "(ex)girlfriend" defense.

if i dont pay the fines, can they do anything to my car now that I have different license plates?
Yes. The tickets are attached to the car OWNER. Towing the car is to force the owner to comply. Ditching the car does not absolve you.

If they can, what if I just sell my car?
Your new car's lucky owner is in the clear. You are not. I hope your urgency to sell gets him/her a good deal, and that the sale allows you to have the funds to get a new car and pay the fines

They wont do anything to the car then right?
I assume you mean your new car. They will (eventually).

You will have to pay these tickets. If you ignore them, you will pay late fees, you will pay interest, and you will suffer eventual judgement, other vehicles being towed, etc...

This is not moral advice.

In the past, the sort of "car washing" you talking about might have worked under some circumstances for you to evade the tickets cost. You would not be in the clear by any means, but would be avoiding judgment. That is not the case today. Even a modestly sophisticated enforcement database in the hands of a low rent ticketing authority would be able to sort out hwo you are and "who" your next car is. I would bet that even without a sophisticated system, that a motivated clerk could figure out your ruse using Google, access to DMV data, and a paper phone book.

Last edited:

almostleo

ok but?

How will the city know to look for new plates under my name?
If I just sell my car to my roommate, and drive it then there is nothing they can do right?
I honestly don't wanna pay the tickets.. what are the statute of limitations? I go to college here now, what if I finish college and move to another municipality and then buy my car back from my roommate?

xylene

You do use a computer right? I can't speak to EXACTLY how it is down in your town, but I've been around the broad principles of databes pretty much my entire working life and then some... and despite being annoyed at your block-headedness, and only .5mm of space between my fingers sympathetic... allow me to explain. If you can't follow logic, that on you.

How will the city know to look for new plates under my name?
They know who you are know. They know what car you owned with IOWA plates, inlcuding the VIN number. (I hope you are not so dense to not know what that is). You get a new title on the same car with the same VIN. New plates. Well the State DMV never lost track of you, so why would the a computerized parking enforcement computer system, linked directly to the DMV. And even if not computerized system a clerk could manually access these databases. If your car has a tow order it is certainly worth their while.

If I just sell my car to my roommate, and drive it then there is nothing they can do right?
Their would be nothing they could do to you roomate who would own the car. You would still be liable for the tickets, and all the associated problems mentioned in my previous post and above. It might not be instant, but you would have consequnces that would build as you ignored the problem.

I honestly don't wanna pay the tickets.. what are the statute of limitations?
Thats nice. The statute of limitations is - Never. Really.

Why would a government entity want to foirfeit it claims just because someone choose to try to evade them for a certian amount of time?

I go to college here now, what if I finish college and move to another municipality and then buy my car back from my roommate?
If you want to sell your roomat your car and then buy it back that is your business. It will not end your ticket problem.

I can see what your are scheming- Why would your roomate want to be involved, and take on all the liability of car ownership for you. I would never do this for a 5 year girlfriend.

I hope you don't badger you roomie into your mess.

And if you do, watch out that he doesn't sell 'your' car and split on whatever deal you are scheming up.

ecmst12

Better idea - take your Ex to small claims court for the cost of the tickets.

The tickets are in your NAME and will go on YOUR CREDIT REPORT. This will be important (and bad) when you're out of college. Get them paid. I'm not saying you should pay them, but definitely overcome whatever non-talking terms you and your ex are on and get her to pay them.

xylene

Btw

You need proof in small claims court.

This would be- Ex girlfriend admitting she caused the tickets. or Evidence that she admitted responsiblity like a note saying "Hon, I am sorry, they are my tickets and I'll pay. Convoluted unsubstantiated / unsubstaniatable alibis will not work.

You won't be able to collect the late fees and interest penalties. Your car, your responsibility to mitigate damages.

sukharev

just to add to already good advice: take care of the tickets! Go to PD, or to town hall, or whatever authority is listed on the tickets, honestly ask for reduction explaining the story - then go ahead and pay up. Then, sue anybody you want for that amount.

Y

ylen13

ignore all of this cops advice. Sell the car to your rommate for $1 and have the registry change. Tell the collection agency to take a hike if city turns it to collection agency. Worse that can happen is it will go on your credit history record for 7 years.

ecmst12

And you think that's not that bad? Black marks on your credit report should be avoided at all costs, especially if they're not your fault *shakes head*

almostleo

hey ylen
thats what i am gonna do.. i sold my car to my roommate and i signed a security interest on it so he cant do anythign with it till i relase the interest. then i found out from a friend who works for the city that they dont turn stuff to collections but maintain an indefinite tow order on my license plate which is gone forever anyway.
thanks a lot for ur help.

xylene

I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who

heard it from another you'd been messing around...

almostleo said:
hey ylen
thats what i am gonna do.. i sold my car to my roommate and i signed a security interest on it so he cant do anythign with it till i relase the interest. then i found out from a friend who works for the city that they dont turn stuff to collections but maintain an indefinite tow order on my license plate which is gone forever anyway.
thanks a lot for ur help.
Good luck with your bad self!

Your plan is FOOLproof**************

Just don't burn your roomate, wait you already have!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">