• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking an Uninspected Vehicle in my private driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todd73NJ

New Jersey

What is the NJ law regarding parking my un-inspected vehicle in my private driveway of my owned home?

I have a 1998 Mustang GT Convertible that I have not driven in two years. The car is in excellent condition, But will probably need some exhaust work before I put it back on the road. The car is registered in NJ currently. The car is also fully insured. Neither have ever lapsed. I move the car a few feet a day to avoid getting flat spots on my tires, and also wash and wax the car bi monthly. It can in no way be mistaken as abandoned or junk. I drive my other car daily, which is inspected, insured, and registered. Today the Oradell, NJ, Police told me I would be fined for an uninspected vehicle if the car remains on my driveway. Do I have a right to keep my car in my driveway uninspected if I am not using it on public roads? Advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Todd73NJ

My vehicle has a plate, it is registers, and fully insured carrying both comprehensive and collision, and all NJ requirements.

The sole issue is it does not have a current inspection sticker. But it does not leave my driveway.

Todd73NJ

I do cover it in the winter months. But even though its one of those breathable covers, I hate the film it leaves on the paint. So I try to not use the cover the rest of the year.

And unfortunately now, the police have seen the sticker and say they will be back with a summons if not rectified.

I cannot find anything in the law regarding a car parked in a private driveway.

justalayman

from what I saw in your link, any car that has a plate must have a valid inspection. Since you have a plate, you must have an inspection sticker.

If you are required to have plates on a vehicle setting in your drive, you are stuck. You will either need to get the inspection sticker or move the car.

The Occultist

More or less, the only sure fire way to avoid citations for this and other related offenses is to keep your vehicle on your property in such a way that it could not possible enter into traffic (e.g. in your backyard with a complete fence surrounding the yard).

Todd73NJ

Thanks for the responses so far. I just wish I could figure out why they are bothering me with this now.

The way I read that link I posted was that if the vehicle was on the road - it needs to be inspected.

But the way they write these things.. its so hard to figure out what they mean.

justalayman

Thanks for the responses so far. I just wish I could figure out why they are bothering me with this now.

The way I read that link I posted was that if the vehicle was on the road - it needs to be inspected.

But the way they write these things.. its so hard to figure out what they mean.
maybe they just noticed the situation. Maybe you pissed off a neighbor who brought it to their attention. Maybe they were really bored one day and started getting picky about everything.

In the end, it really doesn't matter. What matters is they are now aware of the situation and you need to do something to remedy the problem.

and to your statement about only if it is on the road would it need to be inspected:
39A:IMV-1. Inspection of motor vehicles; examiners; exceptions; acquisition of property
a. Every motor vehicle registered in this State which is used over any public highway or any public or quasi-public property in this State, and every vehicle subject to enhanced inspection and maintenance programs pursuant to 40 C.F.R. § 51.356, shall be inspected by designated examiners or at official inspection facilities to be designated by the MVC or at licensed private inspection facilities except:
Their argument will be that if it is registered (licensed), it is able to be driven and as such must be inspected. If you want to try to argue the situation, you might be able to prevail but I suspect it won't be an easy or cheap road to travel.

It does appear you may be able to qualify the vehicle as a "collector vehicle". You might look into that possibility. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/Application_for_Collector_Vehicle_Status.pdf

and I have to presume an valid inspection is not required to obtain a registration, right?

xylene

You need to inspect your car.

Motor vehicle requirements don't end at your driveway's threshold with public pavement.

The only way you could skirt this would be to keep it in a fenced impound or a enclosed garage.

Those are probably not options at your property.

Todd73NJ

Xylene,

So think about your statement - if my car had a broken tail light(which it does not) - and was parked in my driveway - and was not on a public road - could the police give me a ticket?

My uncle owns large property in southern New Jersey. He has trucks that he soley uses on his property, that do not enter public roadways. And he has told me he absolutely does not need to inspect them. They are registered and insured.

Justalayman,

Not sure about the neighbors, havent had any recent conversations with any of them.

And Your assumption is correct. A registration and insurance can be obtained without a valid inspection.

They have told me they are stopping past on Friday, and I will be unable to do anything before that time.

I do not have the money to make the repairs on this car at this time due to my business only making enough money to pay for my living expenses. Im not sure I should be penalized.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Xylene,

So think about your statement - if my car had a broken tail light(which it does not) - and was parked in my driveway - and was not on a public road - could the police give me a ticket?
If you're driving it...yep! A broken tail light is a moving violation, so this is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

xylene

Xylene,

I'm of the opinion that the police could give such a ticket for an equipment violation.

Why do you think they could not?

The law totally 100% allows the state of New Jersey to regulate motor vehicles. Those laws apply anywhere, especially when the vehicle is just in a driveway open to public view and access.

I mean we are not talking about it being in a garage or behind a no-see-thru fence, or even just a gate.

This isn't a game of tag where your private property confers a 'safe' status.

My uncle owns large property in southern New Jersey. He has trucks that he soley uses on his property, that do not enter public roadways. And he has told me he absolutely does not need to inspect them. They are registered and insured.
1. Your uncle's rural situation is immaterial to yours
2. Push to shove your uncle is wrong and could be ticketed for having uninspected vehicles registered for on-road use.

My family used to have big land and we would have bonfires with flames 30 feet into the air... I can't do that at my suburban house, (duh) :) even though basically the same laws are in play...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With regard to the "collector vehicle" status - the car would STILL have to be taken to an inspection station as part of that process. Why not just get it inspected?

Additionally, it would have to be insured as a collector vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">