• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking violation in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Surfinonluck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Arizona

I was visiting Arizona from Washington state and got a ticket for blocking a handicap access zone. I parked my motorcycle between the handicap and parking island, easily 5+ ft of space available. I was mistaken in believing I could park there, and while coming out of the grocery store a parking enforcement officer was standing there writing the ticket, she asked me if this was my motorcycle and I replied that it was. She then warned me about parking here and told me she would waive the ticket. Two months later I get this:
http://i.imgur.com/Z2quv.jpg

It should also be noted that the ticket arrived at my parent's house under my father's name, but the vehicle was transferred to me about 8 months ago.

Do I have any options but to pay it? I never received a receipt or anything, I was told to go my way by the lady and then this arrives. Thank you all in advance

Last edited:

Since it is in your father's name he should appear at court and explain that the vehicle has been transferred to you. You should appear as well and then the ticket may get re-issued in your name.

Did you park in a marked spot or were you in the handicap aisle? Your options are pay it, plead not guilty, or perhaps request court supervision if it's offered.

From the looks of it you probably won't beat this ticket even if she initially offered a warning and later changed her mind. Either way you violated the law, so you were properly cited.

davew128

Since it is in your father's name he should appear at court and explain that the vehicle has been transferred to you. You should appear as well and then the ticket may get re-issued in your name.
Right. Because it makes sense for two people to fly from Seattle to Phoenix to contest a parking ticket that was rightfully issued to the registered owner of a vehicle. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nobody has to show up if the OP simply sends in payment. The costs of travel will outweigh any reduction of the fine he may get (note that I said REDUCTION - the OP already admits to the guilt...now he's asking for leniency)

Right. Because it makes sense for two people to fly from Seattle to Phoenix to contest a parking ticket that was rightfully issued to the registered owner of a vehicle. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I guess if they're up for a roadtrip ;) However, I don't think OP is planning on contesting it. I think he really knows that's what he should do. :cool:

Surfinonluck

I figured as much, I was hoping because I didn't receive a receipt there might be a loophole. Now if I were to ask for leniency, is there specific wording I should use? This is A LOT of money for a 5 minute honest mistake, although that could be said of a lot of things...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">