• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Violation - Bus Stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoTickets

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

I appreciate your time with this. I received two parking violations this past weekend for parking by a bus stop. I left my car overnight so I got ticketed for both days. Crazy thing is, the bus stop must have been 70 feet up the block and I was separated by a fire hydrant, a van and three or four cars. I researched and the law says the bus stop extends to the end of the corner, if there are no signs, which there were none. However, does being separated by a fire hydrant have any relevancy? Also, on one ticket they indicated that I was 20 ft from the end of the block and on another they said I was 30 ft. Do I have a chance to get at least one thrown out due to an inaccurate description of the place of occurrence? I was probably 10-15 feet away from the end of the block.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Best,

R

FlyingRon

However, does being separated by a fire hydrant have any relevancy?
Not in the least. Absent the corner or another sign, the zone spans the entire area.
Also, on one ticket they indicated that I was 20 ft from the end of the block and on another they said I was 30 ft. Do I have a chance to get at least one thrown out due to an inaccurate description of the place of occurrence?
Nope.

NoTickets

There was probably room for two or three 45 foot buses. Any reasonable person would think this ticket is absurd if I showed them the video of the bus stop and where I was parked. The law is the law but, doesn't make it right. I'm going to at least try to fight. I feel like if I show the judge my pictures and video, maybe she'll feel bad and dismiss. If so, I'll come back and let you guys know.

Also, if they offer a reduced fine, how much is it typically reduced by? And, do I have a better chance of winning if I go in person or should I just request a hiring online? Apparently you can submit your evidence online and the judge can email you the verdict. I feel like that's too easy for them lol.

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited:

NoTickets

I'm sure this doesn't matter either but, I just checked the bus schedules and the last bus stops there at 4PM. I received the violation at 5:30PM on a Saturday. Plus, the bus doesn't even run on Sundays and that's when I received the second ticket. Again, I'm sure according to the law, it doesn't matter but, any reasonable person would evaluate all of these facts and determine that it's a bs ticket.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sure this doesn't matter either but, I just checked the bus schedules and the last bus stops there at 4PM. I received the violation at 5:30PM on a Saturday. Plus, the bus doesn't even run on Sundays and that's when I received the second ticket. Again, I'm sure according to the law, it doesn't matter but, any reasonable person would evaluate all of these facts and determine that it's a bs ticket.
...I disagree. You violated the law. The ticket is not BS. If you feel that the law is BS, then take it up with the lawmakers.

You Are Guilty

There was probably room for two or three 45 foot buses. Any reasonable person would think this ticket is absurd if I showed them the video of the bus stop and where I was parked.
You can - Google Maps Street View:
http://maps.google.com/intl/en/help/maps/streetview/#utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=van&utm_source=en-van-na-us-gns-svn

Also, if they offer a reduced fine, how much is it typically reduced by? And, do I have a better chance of winning if I go in person or should I just request a hiring online? Apparently you can submit your evidence online and the judge can email you the verdict. I feel like that's too easy for them lol.
What city are you in (this sounds suspiciously like NYC, but for the bus not running 24/7).

NoTickets

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. There's no need to be all offensive that I'm insulting the law. I've shown my evidence to two police officers and a lawyer who also feel it's unfair and unreasonable. I didn't just blatantly park my car in a bus stop. The bus stop was at one side of the block and I parked on the other end. The only way someone would know that specific law is if they parked there and received a ticket. There is no logical reasoning behind it except to earn the city money.

Yes, it's in NYC. I was actually surprised myself when I checked the schedule and saw that it doesn't run on Sundays.

You Are Guilty

Yes, it's in NYC. I was actually surprised myself when I checked the schedule and saw that it doesn't run on Sundays.
That gives you some options then, all of which can be found in the responses to most of the other NYC ticket questions here. Since you did not list the specific location of the citation, a general plan:

1- Check the DOT website to determine the legal signage that is supposed to be on the block (i.e. maybe a sign was knocked down between you and the bus stop that was never replaced)
2- Check your ticket for "fatal flaws"
3- If 1 and 2 don't turn up anything useful, consider the settlement offer from PVB (I believe it is 15% or 20% off in exchange for pleading guilty)
4- If 1, 2 and 3 are not to your liking, then go down to the PVB with your "proof" and argue your case before an ALJ. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that thinks you are cute and dismisses the ticket. (Odds are, however, greatly pointing to you paying the full $115 if you go this route).
5- Come back here and report your results so people with similar tickets in the future can adjust their plans accordingly.

Good luck.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
3- If 1 and 2 don't turn up anything useful, consider the settlement offer from PVB (I believe it is 15% or 20% off in exchange for pleading guilty)
No more settlements - they disappeared early this year. I didn't hear anything about the program being reinstated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">