• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking violation, Oahu Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark_shapiro

This morning, I found a parking infraction notice from Honolulu Police department in Kalihi, district 5, on my vehicle, stating that I had violated ROH 15-14.1(3)- Parking rules and regulations.
I'm not certain on how they define an intersection zone, but I believe that my vehicle was correctly parked- Not ideally, but in Hawaii parking is never ideal, it is always chaotic. I was 12 inches away from the curb, perpendicular to the roadside within a residential neighborhood that had no marked stalls, and I was not in the intersection, nor was I blocking it (I believe). I am not an expert on how intersections are defined, so there could be error on my end.

Should I argue this infraction, or just pay the $35 dollar fine?
Was I truly breaking that regulation?

Parking rules and regulations
https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/ocs/roh/ROH_Chapter_15a10_20_.pdf

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

The HRS (291C-1) defines an intersection thus:

"Intersection" means the area embraced within the prolongation or connection of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways of two highways which join one another at, or approximately at, right angles, or the area within which vehicles traveling upon different highways joining at any other angle may come in conflict.

So, if your vehicle - or part of it - were in a place where the prolongation of the curb line of an intersecting street would pass through it, you could be guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">