• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Violation Questions (Street cleaning and fire hydrant)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adviceseeker2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City.

First off, I just recently started driving in US, and this is my first offense. I did try to google and search this forum, but didn't find what I was looking for. So, decided to ask the questions here. Sorry in advance for the loooong post.

Background:
I got ticketed today morning in front of my building during street cleaning time (9 am to 10:30 am). I generally cover my vehicle with a plastic cover, and as is my practice every day, I take it off, keep it back in my apartment and drive off to work. Today, I took it off, went back into the apartment to keep it, and came back to my vehicle to see the traffic warden/officer (not sure what you call them here in states) writing up the ticket. The time on ticket is 9:15 AM. So, yes, technically I was parked illegally for 15 minutes.

My questions regarding this ticket are:

1. If I fight the ticket, would the judge show leniency in my case and reduce the fine?

2. I noticed on the ticket it says
if the operator was present I indicated the operator's name or indicated "ID Refused" and personally served this Notice upon him/her, if the operator was not present or refused to accept personal service of this Notice, I affixed this Notice to the vehicle.
. Now, I am curious as to what point of time is this statement for? Is it when the traffic guy started writing the ticket, or when it was supposed to be delivered, or anytime in between? As you can see above, I was not present at the start when the traffic guy arrived to my vehicle, but I was present while he was still writing the ticket. I even had a chat with him for a minute or two. The reason for this question is obviously to know if I have a case on hand to dismiss the ticket, considering it doesn't state my license information, name or "id refused". Also, if it helps, the traffic guy handed me the ticket in person in my hand and not affix it to the vehicle.

3. What does plate type "MOT" and body type "MCC" mean ? Also, I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that the Make section should contain 5 letters. Is that true? Mine does not, even though the make of the vehicle is more than 5 letters.

4. I noticed that the other vehicles on my side of the street were not being ticketed because there was someone in those cars at the time. The traffic guy didn't ticket them. Is that wrong? Or is there some law/rule that allows you to sit in the vehicle and not get a ticket, even though you are parked right there ! Can this be used to fight the ticket ?

Now, obviously, I do not intend to make the same mistake twice. So, a bunch of hypothetical questions:
1. If the ticket guy were to arrive at my vehicle prior to me removing the covers, can they ticket me if say the license plate is not visible ? Can they remove the covers to get the plate information ? I read conflicting information online so figured I might ask this.
2. Let's say while he was still writing up the ticket, I were to leave in my vehicle. What would happen? (assuming he at least got my license plate/make/model information)... I am sure its illegal, and am probably looking at a bigger infraction, but.. just wondering..
3. My vehicle is registered in new jersey. I have new jersey license. If I do not pay the fine/ticket, would new jersey dmv be informed? Basically, what would happen if I did not pay?

Also, while searching on this forum, I read a bunch of articles about fire hydrants, and multiple tickets. etc... Naturally, that got me scared, since I park close to a fire hydrant at my work place. I am not the only one, there are several others as well, btw.
1. Is there a different law in Brooklyn (than Manhattan) about parking next to fire hydrants? ie, 15 feet.
2. Once I park, I only return to my vehicle after 8 to 9 hours of work. If the traffic guy ticketed me every X minutes, would I be left to pay all of those tickets or can some be ignored/over-ruled ? In Brooklyn what is this X value? Can someone point me to the right website/information?

And oh finally, do tickets get mailed to the address given in the registration of an out-of-state vehicle ? I don't want to keep parking in a spot, not realizing that I am being ticketed for it and they are all showing up at my out-of-state address!

Thanks for your help.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Before I go on I just want to tell you that it is ILLEGAL to cover your vehicle while it is parked on a city street. You can only cover it if it is on private property. So that is yet another ticket you could have gotten and did not.

HighwayMan

1. If I fight the ticket, would the judge show leniency in my case and reduce the fine?
NO. Absolutely not. You have no valid excuse or justification for being parked where you were at the time you were.

2. I noticed on the ticket it says . Now, I am curious as to what point of time is this statement for? Is it when the traffic guy started writing the ticket, or when it was supposed to be delivered, or anytime in between? As you can see above, I was not present at the start when the traffic guy arrived to my vehicle, but I was present while he was still writing the ticket. I even had a chat with him for a minute or two. The reason for this question is obviously to know if I have a case on hand to dismiss the ticket, considering it doesn't state my license information, name or "id refused". Also, if it helps, the traffic guy handed me the ticket in person in my hand and not affix it to the vehicle.
No it doesn't help. He was being courteous. You were NOT operating the vehicle so you don't get your info noted on the violation. It's as simple as that.

3. What does plate type "MOT" and body type "MCC" mean ? Also, I read somewhere (probably on this forum) that the Make section should contain 5 letters. Is that true? Mine does not, even though the make of the vehicle is more than 5 letters.
Was this a hand-written ticket?

If so you are probably misreading the "MCC" - it should be "MCY". So what is the make of your vehicle and how is it written on the violation??

MOT is motorcycle which is the registration type. MCY is the body type motorcycle. Just because the body type is MCY doesn't mean the registration is MOT - there are several types of motorcycles under NYS law which would have different registration types.

4. I noticed that the other vehicles on my side of the street were not being ticketed because there was someone in those cars at the time. The traffic guy didn't ticket them. Is that wrong? Or is there some law/rule that allows you to sit in the vehicle and not get a ticket, even though you are parked right there ! Can this be used to fight the ticket ?
That is the issuer's discretion. Traffic agents are not armed and many prefer not to get into confrontation with violators so many times they won't write an occupied vehicle. That has NO bearing on your violation and will NOT help you in court in any way. Personally, I don't care if someone is sitting in their vehicle - they still get written. There is no exemption if you are sitting in your vehicle - it is simply up to whoever is issuing the violation.

HighwayMan

1. If the ticket guy were to arrive at my vehicle prior to me removing the covers, can they ticket me if say the license plate is not visible ? Can they remove the covers to get the plate information ? I read conflicting information online so figured I might ask this.
There is no conflicting information. You cannot cover your vehicle on a public street. If it is covered a police officer or traffic agent may lift the cover to check your plate AND write you a violation for a covered plate or a covered vehicle or BOTH.

2. Let's say while he was still writing up the ticket, I were to leave in my vehicle. What would happen? (assuming he at least got my license plate/make/model information)... I am sure its illegal, and am probably looking at a bigger infraction, but.. just wondering..
You would get a notice of violation in the mail. Running away doesn't help. And if it was a police officer you could possibly face arrest or additional traffic tickets.

3. My vehicle is registered in new jersey. I have new jersey license. If I do not pay the fine/ticket, would new jersey dmv be informed? Basically, what would happen if I did not pay?
Possibly - DMV could get notified. You could be classified as a scofflaw and your vehicle could be towed next time. The fines would continue to build up and you could be looking at additional civil penalties imposed by the city.

1. Is there a different law in Brooklyn (than Manhattan) about parking next to fire hydrants? ie, 15 feet.
2. Once I park, I only return to my vehicle after 8 to 9 hours of work. If the traffic guy ticketed me every X minutes, would I be left to pay all of those tickets or can some be ignored/over-ruled ? In Brooklyn what is this X value? Can someone point me to the right website/information?
1. NO
2. You can get a violation every twenty minutes or thirty minutes I forget which, and YES you would be responsible for all those violations.

And oh finally, do tickets get mailed to the address given in the registration of an out-of-state vehicle ? I don't want to keep parking in a spot, not realizing that I am being ticketed for it and they are all showing up at my out-of-state address!

The violations get served on the vehicle, NOT mailed.

adviceseeker2

No it doesn't help. He was being courteous. You were NOT operating the vehicle so you don't get your info noted on the violation. It's as simple as that.
Does this mean that I should be operating the vehicle at the time he started writing the ticket for him to ask me for information or for the "ID Refused" to be present ? I am just trying to understand what that statement exactly means.

Was this a hand-written ticket?

If so you are probably misreading the "MCC" - it should be "MCY". So what is the make of your vehicle and how is it written on the violation??

MOT is motorcycle which is the registration type. MCY is the body type motorcycle. Just because the body type is MCY doesn't mean the registration is MOT - there are several types of motorcycles under NYS law which would have different registration types.
Yes. It is a motorcycle. And its not hand-written ticket. Its one of those machine printed ones. He even told me and I am paraphrasing that "in today's day and technology, once I start writing the ticket, I have to give it. I cannot stop now". And then it printed and gave me the ticket. With a printed signature as well.

And it reads Body Type MCC. I googled for it, and all I hit was something to do with Monroe College. The only vehicle related information I could find was MCC = Mobile Car Crusher! Do you have a link or any help that I can use to find out what MCC really means according to New York State laws ? I assume that if it does mean Mobile Car Crusher, then I can fight this ticket ? Cause, while my motorcycle is indeed mobile, it is definitely not a car crusher (even though its name might be a Monster!).

Also, you said that the vehicles cannot be covered and that I can get ticketed for it. How is it then that I see a large percentage of motorcycles in Manhattan covered ? Googling around suggests some people even remove their license plates to avoid the tickets.
I know its illegal to do that. But how is it that people don't get ticketed for it ? Is it luck of the draw and hope that the traffic agent does not bother with ticketing you?

Thanks for your immediate help, HighwayMan.. Much appreciated.

HighwayMan

Does this mean that I should be operating the vehicle at the time he started writing the ticket for him to ask me for information or for the "ID Refused" to be present ? I am just trying to understand what that statement exactly means.
Why are you so hung up on this? If there is an operator behind the wheel we're supposed to ask for ID. That's it. There is no mystery or hidden agenda here.

Yes. It is a motorcycle. And its not hand-written ticket. Its one of those machine printed ones. He even told me and I am paraphrasing that "in today's day and technology, once I start writing the ticket, I have to give it. I cannot stop now". And then it printed and gave me the ticket. With a printed signature as well.
Once your registration is scanned it's over and the violation cannot be avoided.

And it reads Body Type MCC. I googled for it...
I doubt this will mean anything. "MCC" is not a valid body type in New York, so forget about the car crusher nonsense.

Why the computer printed it that way I don't know. It should be "MCY". If you want to fight it based upon that good luck but I doubt it will mean anything to a judge.

Also, you said that the vehicles cannot be covered and that I can get ticketed for it. How is it then that I see a large percentage of motorcycles in Manhattan covered ? Googling around suggests some people even remove their license plates to avoid the tickets.
First of all, worry about yourself and not what other people do or are getting away with. It makes no difference what anyone else is doing if you get ticketed.

I don't see a "large percentage" of motorcycles covered in Manhattan. I see a few here and there. I am telling you what the New York City Traffic Rules state, and that it is illegal to cover your motor vehicle on a public street.

It's also illegal to remove the plate or to park on the sidewalk.

If I see a motorcycle with no plate I will write it. The VIN is always available. Maybe many traffic agents to want to waste the time and effort - I don't know and I cannot speak for anyone else.

You also risk a tow since a motor vehicle parked on a public street with no plates might be considered abandoned and at the very least unregistered.

Again, stop worry about what the rest of the city does and worry about yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">